[Release 1.0.] SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod

HrcAk47
Colonel

[Release 1.0.] SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod

Postby HrcAk47 » Fri 31 Mar 2017 00:53

I, as probably the yugobooest Yugoboo you know, was somewhat unsatisfied with the textures on Yugoslav units. Unlike the actual 3D models, which are superb and with very few errors, the textures were simply... lacking. Oh well, that's what the community is here for. Right? Yah.

Therefore I have set upon retexturing the entire thing.

So what does this thing do?

• It retextures all units to "SMB" color (SMB stands for Sivo-maslinasta boja - gray-olive color), which was the standard fare for all JNA units.
  • It assigns a 5-digit serial number to each vehicle, using the DIN 1451 sans-serif typeface ("font") for the numbers and other markings, as was the standard in land and air force.
  • It retextures the "brown" infantry (Kom. Odeljenje, Brdska Peš., Mehanizovana Peš., Proleteri, early weapon teams) into a more proper, SMB-colored M-77 uniform.
  • It adds the proper era-specific license plates to the road-legal vehicles (cars, trucks, etc.).
  • All textures are made for all 3 LODs.
  • It is fully multiplayer-compatible - the texture files are local.
  • It is fully compatible with other mods and texture packs.

Screenshots:

Spoiler : :

And here comes the release! Click me!

HOW TO INSTALL

1. Download
2. Unzip
3. Go to Steam\steamapps\common\Wargame Red Dragon\Data\WARGAME\PC\510053208\510057270 and backup the zz_3b.dat file.
4. Chuck the downloaded zz_3b.dat file into Steam\steamapps\common\Wargame Red Dragon\Data\WARGAME\PC\510053208\510057270 and overwrite the existing file.

HOW TO UNINSTALL

1. Go to Steam\steamapps\common\Wargame Red Dragon\Data\WARGAME\PC\510053208\510057270, and replace the zz3b.dat file with the backup you made.

OR

1. Verify game cache through steam, it will redownload the zz_3b. Note that this will fully reset your game, including all mods or other texture packs you have.
Last edited by HrcAk47 on Mon 3 Apr 2017 19:57, edited 6 times in total.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

James-Bond
Sergeant First-Class

Re: [WIP] SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod

Postby James-Bond » Fri 31 Mar 2017 00:55

Looks Great!

Tiera
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tiera » Sat 1 Apr 2017 07:18

Good stuff.

nuke92
Lieutenant

Postby nuke92 » Sat 1 Apr 2017 16:08

10/10 druže

soon gazing eye of hato can't see us in the ground clutter and NLO-19 Novi Bias will blend into the heavens
every blade of grass and air itself shall become his foe
"Spike MR is more accurate I'll give you that but Konkurs has more range and isn't prototype" - Warchat™ July 2017
"ALB added planes, RD added ships, WG4 will add Ekranoplans" - Warchat™ August 2017

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sun 2 Apr 2017 02:29

HrcAk47 wrote:
  • It retextures all units to "SMB" color (SMB stands for Sivo-maslinasta boja - gray-olive color), which was the standard fare for all JNA units.
  • It assigns a 5-digit serial number to each vehicle, using the DIN 1451 sans-serif typeface ("font") for the numbers and other markings, as was the standard in land and air force.
  • It retextures the "brown" infantry (Kom. Odeljenje, Brdska Peš., Mehanizovana Peš., Proleteri, early weapon teams) into a more proper, SMB-colored M-77 uniform.
  • It adds the proper era-specific license plates to the road-legal vehicles (cars, trucks, etc.).
  • All textures are made for all 3 LODs.
  • It is fully multiplayer-compatible - the texture files are local.
  • It is fully compatible with other mods and texture packs.

Wow! I personally am a huge fan of standard paint schemes, and this Yugo one is a great addition! And the fact that you are doing all 3 LOD's is good too. I'm looking forward!
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Sun 2 Apr 2017 21:47

Thanks for the support, guys.

I am done with the ground units, now I am detailing the air units.

Here's a sneak peek, the memeplane itself. Ya know who. ;)

L-17K (MiG-21bis-K), s/n 17210, "Black 210". 124th lae (air force squadron), AFB Željava. Fresh after its overhaul in VZ Zmaj.

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Sun 2 Apr 2017 21:58

This looks really good! Actually, it looks bad but I can't fault you for Yugoslav standard camouflage patterns being in the most awful green colour I've ever seen :lol:. The uniformity is super nice though.

What's the plan for the L-19? Do you have an intended livery or will you just make one up that looks 'about right'?
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Hungary - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Sun 2 Apr 2017 22:37

FrangibleCover wrote:This looks really good! Actually, it looks bad but I can't fault you for Yugoslav standard camouflage patterns being in the most awful green colour I've ever seen :lol:. The uniformity is super nice though.

What's the plan for the L-19? Do you have an intended livery or will you just make one up that looks 'about right'?

The whole point of the "awful green" on the vehicles is that it is the best base color for units to apply their own field camouflage - depending on the region where they're fighting. It can vary significantly, from the Slovenian Karst, over the Dalmatian rocky coast, through Bosnian forests, the Panonian plain, and the drylands of Macedonia. There's even a few deserts in Yugoslavia, believe it or not :D. I have a neat JNA book called "Maskiranje i Kamuflaža" which speaks exactly about that. I talked about this with Eugen, so we decided to give field camo "livery" only to the recon units, such as the IBV or M-84AN. It works quite nicely out of the box. ;)

Spoiler : Pic related, Yugoslavia :

The livery for L-19 was supposed to be gray-green (somewhat akin to what the Oraos wear), plus some extra markings all around. Or I might do a white prototype skin, similar to the Super Galeb. First I need to iron out those ship-hull-tier welds, and then the games can begin ;)

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Sun 2 Apr 2017 23:56

Anyway, the two less important fighters nobody actually uses.

L-18 (MiG-29 9.12B), s/n 18102, "White 102", 127th lae (air force squadron), AFB Batajnica.

L-19 (Novi Avion), s/n 19108, "White 108", VTOC Aircraft Technical Test Center, AFB Batajnica. ( ;) )

nuke92
Lieutenant

Postby nuke92 » Mon 3 Apr 2017 01:34

oh my god this is so good.

I guess the old pics just failed to portray the planed colour, it ended up being really pale because of the perspective hence the pale colour of the ingame model.
"Spike MR is more accurate I'll give you that but Konkurs has more range and isn't prototype" - Warchat™ July 2017
"ALB added planes, RD added ships, WG4 will add Ekranoplans" - Warchat™ August 2017