Windhund division

Terracos
Sergeant First-Class

Re: Windhund division

Postby Terracos » Tue 11 Jul 2017 18:20

HaryPL wrote:3 groups is too much, you are too thin and withou any punch. 2nd Div rolls in with M4 and you are already dead.
Get task force of PzIIIM, CV Autocannon, Recce autocannon, Spahrecce and PzGren with theirs halftracks and 2 empty halftrucks from other pzgren and spahrecce infantry that you deployed elsewhere to hold line. Cant remember the points but if there are any left add cv autocannon to help pzgren+spah inf defend rest of line.

With such group you can easily push up the frontline in A as long as enemy isnt blobbed in one place or forcing you to fight on open ground where his FSV will eradicate your pzgrens.
Push empty halftracks with recce and cv autocannon forward, counter any enemy vehicles with pzIII m and if range is too close to 200m let pzgrens duke it out with enemy inf/at. Single AT guns that open up under 700m will melt under fire of 2 autocannons and 3x 3vet halftracks any day of the week. Get mortar truck asap.

Obviously that works when you play hedge map vs non-vehicle spam deck such as French, 3rd or Guards.

Sounds interesting, gonna test this next time. Havent played too much with the PzIIIM as an opening Unit.

The fact that I spread thin always made my opponent overreact at the front where he wasnt present. Due to having three groups and most opponents I had only attacked at two locations helped me to draw his attention away. But I will try your approach.

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Tue 11 Jul 2017 19:08

Going wide is good idea, although it can horribly backfire if enemy isn't newbie and won't loose his nerves.
If those groups of yours consist literally of what you described, they can be pretty easily overwhelmed on one-per-time basis by high vet Stuart group or such (they also seem to be lacking recon and AT by description). Then it's just matter of finding 2nd and 3rd of your groups and repeating the process, possibly making you loose your nerves as well. And even if not, it's going to be pain in the arse if they manage to sneak recon / AT equipped stuff somewhere behind your main line to ambush mortar truck/werfer/oncoming reinforcements.

MG42 is good as it is, at 2/3 vet it's even better but honestly I would drop it after latest HMG teams nerf - the main reason being you already have 2/3 vet HMG (albeit with a bit lesser range) with every infantry squad (but CV) that you order in phase A; that's plenty enough of support fire. Bring some recon, scout/cv autocannon APCs or PzIII/AT gun instead.

Terracos
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Terracos » Wed 12 Jul 2017 12:14

Havent mentioned the recon as i buy them by default.

Normally I started with this:

2xPzGrFh: 70p
3xPzGr: 165p
2xMg:110p

345p for Infantry

1xSPW234/1: 65p
1xSpähtrupp: 45p

110p for recon

SPW232: 45p

45p for support

Now as you mentioned i cant handle heavy tanks first, except they come up close. As long as you fall back at the place where the heavy weaponery comes you are pretty fine. Scouting is a bit lackluster in the begin with, but they are fast to bring up after 1min, aswell as AT guns.
Just dont fight at ranges over 600m. By picking the locations to fight wisely you can open the frontline wide.

WOuld you suggest to replace one PzGr and one Mg group with a PanzerIIIM? Might be a possibility.

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Postby HaryPL » Wed 12 Jul 2017 22:23

Both HMG groups IMO. You get HMGs on halftrack if you need them.

Or try it your way, there have been some kind of veteran 6pndr 'spam', on open maps at least, so if you meet with such an 800m inf HMG could be beneficial.

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Thu 13 Jul 2017 00:24

Keep in mind that Windhund can field both, in Phase A, excellent recon vehicles (SdKfz 234/1 & 234/3), light tanks (Panzer III) & some of the best choices of fire support vehicles.
Indeed, infantry resilience is its weak points, representing the fact that, IRL, one of its two regiments was still fighting in the East while the other was recompleting (and lacking SdKfz) when it was sent to the front.

Pbatt
Corporal

Postby Pbatt » Thu 13 Jul 2017 04:03

KattiValk wrote: IIRC, the autocannon recon vehicle wasn't even nerfed.

They didn't nerf the vehicles themselves, just the veterancy bonus for autocannon vehicles which gave ROF. However, the 234/1 was already affected by the nerf of the french m8 recon vehicle. They removed the ROF bonus on recon vehicles and replaced it with accuracy. The 234/1 was entirely unaffected by the change aside from -20 ammo.

Object199
Warrant Officer

Postby Object199 » Sun 16 Jul 2017 14:24

[EUG]MadMat wrote:Keep in mind that Windhund can field both, in Phase A, excellent recon vehicles (SdKfz 234/1 & 234/3), light tanks (Panzer III) & some of the best choices of fire support vehicles.
Indeed, infantry resilience is its weak points, representing the fact that, IRL, one of its two regiments was still fighting in the East while the other was recompleting (and lacking SdKfz) when it was sent to the front.

Keep in mind that Guards Armoured can field several Cromwells in phase A, that can easily compete with the Pz IIIs, granted they have worse accuracy due to possessing less veterancy stars, but they make up for that in being 5 times better against unarmored targets.

They can also field excellent recon vehilces with the AEC Mk3 and the Humber Mk4, on top of that their fire support is far far superior with the Cromwell VI. The 25-pouders in their double role as excellent artillery and Pak together with the Sextons easily make up for the Panzerwerfer.

Guards Armoured is just as strong as Windhund in regards of tanks, recon vehicles, fire support and arty in phase A. In all other categories and phases it is straight up better.

Windhund is not unplayable and you can certainly outplay your opponent, but if taken two equally skilled players Windhund will always lose. You cant just praise the very few strenghts it has, which are not unmatched in phase A, while ignoring that it is crippled in every other regard.