#MakeAmericaGreatAgain

User avatar
Fade2Gray
General
Posts: 8659
Joined: Wed 1 May 2013 23:30
Location: IED proof in Iraq
Contact:

Re: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Postby Fade2Gray » Sat 4 Nov 2017 16:59

I wonder how long it is going to be until we get a solid study of just how much of an impact Russian meddling really had? How far back does it go? Just how much does it compare with hard right wing fearmongering? How does it stack up with our own home grown right wing propaganda? Hell, you go back far enough you have shenanigans like "Bill Clinton smuggled drugs in nose cones of missiles" and other such nonsense during the AOL/mIRC days. I don't doubt they tried hard to influence things, but I wonder just how much of an impact they had compared to what InfoWars and Breitbart have been pushing for years if not decades.

I'd also be interested in how much of an impact Correct the Record had as well.

Two popular conservative Twitter personalities were just outed as Russian trolls
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/polit ... &mobi=true

Vulcan 607 wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:He wasn’t going to get time after Trump opened his trap, it’s also pretty easy to argue that he has served his time (through his own stupidity).

So you don't believe the judge when he said he wasn't going to let Trump's comments influence the sentence?


Not the judge I am worried about, it’s if someone decides to put trumps words into practice.

You just dodged my question, but okay.
Image
Image
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

User avatar
Vulcan 607
Major-General
Posts: 3911
Joined: Mon 31 Mar 2014 20:40
Location: Malton
Contact:

Re: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Postby Vulcan 607 » Sat 4 Nov 2017 20:26

Ok Fade It doesn’t matter if Trumps remarks affected the judge because if he gave a harsh sentence he gets accused of cosying up to Trump. If he gives a lenient sentence well he’s giving Trump the finger. He’s in a damned if you do position, and while it may not have affected his Decision a lawyer isn’t going to care he’s going to use it.
Personally he was never going to serve time especially after it turns out the coast guard turned Berghl down for being unstable, and the army accepted him.

User avatar
Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 13730
Joined: Mon 9 Jul 2012 02:46
Contact:

Re: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Postby Killertomato » Sun 5 Nov 2017 06:20

Fade2Gray wrote:I wonder how long it is going to be until we get a solid study of just how much of an impact Russian meddling really had? How far back does it go? Just how much does it compare with hard right wing fearmongering? How does it stack up with our own home grown right wing propaganda? Hell, you go back far enough you have shenanigans like "Bill Clinton smuggled drugs in nose cones of missiles" and other such nonsense during the AOL/mIRC days. I don't doubt they tried hard to influence things, but I wonder just how much of an impact they had compared to what InfoWars and Breitbart have been pushing for years if not decades.


Force multiplier. All of a sudden it was everywhere, mixed in with your good friends on Facebook, with nice reputable profiles and everything. It's easier to believe pizzagate et al if you're surrounded by voices screaming about them whenever you venture online.

Even just hearing it all day can convince you it's true. Talk radio did that for a lot of older people I know.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

User avatar
Fade2Gray
General
Posts: 8659
Joined: Wed 1 May 2013 23:30
Location: IED proof in Iraq
Contact:

Re: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Postby Fade2Gray » Sun 5 Nov 2017 14:15

Killertomato wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:I wonder how long it is going to be until we get a solid study of just how much of an impact Russian meddling really had? How far back does it go? Just how much does it compare with hard right wing fearmongering? How does it stack up with our own home grown right wing propaganda? Hell, you go back far enough you have shenanigans like "Bill Clinton smuggled drugs in nose cones of missiles" and other such nonsense during the AOL/mIRC days. I don't doubt they tried hard to influence things, but I wonder just how much of an impact they had compared to what InfoWars and Breitbart have been pushing for years if not decades.


Force multiplier.

How much of a force multiplier? That doesn't even come close to answering my question, seriously that's so vague as to be a non-answer.

All of a sudden it was everywhere, mixed in with your good friends on Facebook, with nice reputable profiles and everything. It's easier to believe pizzagate et al if you're surrounded by voices screaming about them whenever you venture online.

Even just hearing it all day can convince you it's true. Talk radio did that for a lot of older people I know.

It has always been "everywhere" though. I already know about the likes of Rush Limbaugh, and if you go back far enough? Newspapers used to be really bad about that as well. Early 1800s? All newspapers were sold out to political interests until transportation and communication methods started to improve. It took a long time before some sort of semblance of not being overly biased took shape. My question is how much of the internet impact was really effected by the Russians. There's a lot of home grown propaganda out there, insanely ridic amounts of it. The amount of chain emails pushing bizarro right wing conspiracy theories dates back a long time. I remember reading some of that nonsense when I was 17 and 18 (read, over 20 years ago) and being just confused by it all. There's also plenty of it that originates outside of Russia. Hell there's places like in Greece where they feed off of advertising money from all these gullible right wingers. Let's not forget how we even had a member of Correct the Record for the left wing on here posting at one point as well in this very same thread(I so wanted to see him eat his hat as well).

Political bubbles are nothing new KT. I have an uncle who worked in the defense industry for almost his entire career, he would always be telling me about bizarre right wing nonsense whenever I got pushed off by my family to stay with him for a summer or more. Back then I didn't think much of it, I was just a dumb and ignorant kid too busy with trying to just make sure I could eat or just get through school. Looking back on it? It strikes me that this sort of thing wasn't uncommon, unusual, or rare at all. Even during the Myspace years this sort of madness was all over the place. Early 2000s when I was in Germany? All sorts of loony stuff still flying all over the place.

I'm seriously wondering if this is overblown and if we're focusing too much on the Russians and not enough on our own internal problems. I've been thinking right wing rhetoric was been building up to demonizing the left for so long that it will mean another civil war, long before the news media started reporting on the Putin trying to instigate that.
Image
Image
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

User avatar
Shrike
Lieutenant General
Posts: 4515
Joined: Sun 22 Sep 2013 04:30
Location: Central California, US
Contact:

Re: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Postby Shrike » Sun 5 Nov 2017 17:55

Killertomato wrote:Force multiplier. All of a sudden it was everywhere, mixed in with your good friends on Facebook, with nice reputable profiles and everything. It's easier to believe pizzagate et al if you're surrounded by voices screaming about them whenever you venture online.

Even just hearing it all day can convince you it's true. Talk radio did that for a lot of older people I know.

Dunno, Alex Jones started on the air in the 90s and you had some other conspiracy radio hosts before that. Yellow journalism and tabloids have existed for a really long time.

For awhile you had conspiracy theorists talking about how the Waco Siege and Ruby Ridge incident were assassinations carried out by the government. A lot of which was pushed by a certain water filter merchant:

Even in the 70s there has also been weird wacky far left activity like the New Left/Weather Underground and the Symbionese Libertarian Army.

Seems like the flavor of wackiness changes with the times and bias'd/fake news changes with the times. First it was tabloids, then it was hearsay copy pasted from one website to another, now its hearsay from social media post to another and British nationalists talking on youtube.

User avatar
Vulcan 607
Major-General
Posts: 3911
Joined: Mon 31 Mar 2014 20:40
Location: Malton
Contact:

Re: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Postby Vulcan 607 » Sun 5 Nov 2017 22:45

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41880511

Another mass shooting! In a church (again) just waiting for someone to say now is not the time to discuss gun control. This is getting mental
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41880511

User avatar
Gronank
Colonel
Posts: 2516
Joined: Tue 8 Nov 2011 23:40
Contact:

Re: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Postby Gronank » Mon 6 Nov 2017 01:54

Vulcan 607 wrote:Another mass shooting! In a church (again) just waiting for someone to say now is not the time to discuss gun control. This is getting mental

I don't know what there is to discuss. Americans like guns more than they like Americans. I thought this was pretty much a settled issue by now.
Image

User avatar
Fade2Gray
General
Posts: 8659
Joined: Wed 1 May 2013 23:30
Location: IED proof in Iraq
Contact:

Re: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Postby Fade2Gray » Mon 6 Nov 2017 09:00

So a Zoomie walks into a church...

Gronank wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:Another mass shooting! In a church (again) just waiting for someone to say now is not the time to discuss gun control. This is getting mental

I don't know what there is to discuss. Americans like guns more than they like Americans. I thought this was pretty much a settled issue by now.

It is a settled issue. One thing I've discovered of interest from the alt-right about this? They really hate the FBI. Curious that. Also, guess what apparently stopped the attack from getting worse?

A local with his own gun.
Image
Image
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

User avatar
Doinize
Lieutenant
Posts: 1433
Joined: Tue 30 Jul 2013 13:14
Contact:

Re: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Postby Doinize » Mon 6 Nov 2017 10:20

Someone should really investigate the links between viriginity and mass shootings...
Image

User avatar
Vulcan 607
Major-General
Posts: 3911
Joined: Mon 31 Mar 2014 20:40
Location: Malton
Contact:

Re: #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Postby Vulcan 607 » Mon 6 Nov 2017 10:22

Doinize wrote:Someone should really investigate the links between viriginity and mass shootings...


He was married with a kid he was kicked out of the military for abusing them

Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests