Inquiry: Why does WRD not have a standardized unit naming system?

lastcrusade101
Sergeant First-Class

Inquiry: Why does WRD not have a standardized unit naming system?

Postby lastcrusade101 » Sun 25 Feb 2018 13:46

What I mean is: why does the same unit (or unit type) have different names? For example, in F-16s, some say "Fighting Falcon" while others do not. They even have units with the same name (MiG 21 bis, F-16A MLU, etc).

ANother example is that in some countries have the F-104, but others have the "starfighter"
120 Smooth-bore > 120 Rifled

XanderTuron
Chief Warrant Officer

Re: Inquiry: Why does WRD not have a standardized unit naming system?

Postby XanderTuron » Sun 25 Feb 2018 20:12

lastcrusade101 wrote:What I mean is: why does the same unit (or unit type) have different names? For example, in F-16s, some say "Fighting Falcon" while others do not. They even have units with the same name (MiG 21 bis, F-16A MLU, etc).

ANother example is that in some countries have the F-104, but others have the "starfighter"

Eugen logic.

That and it helps keep the units somewhat distinct and is sometimes derived from what the nation using the plane called it. Also for the F-16 example, there are A LOT of different variations of the F-16 in general, and there generally needs to be some way to help distinguish them; also note that most coalitions will not have planes with the exact same name, while planes that have the same name are often in different coalitions (the Danish F-16 MLU and the Dutch F-16 MLU for example).
My mouth is moving, but nothing relevant is coming out. Also I cannot guarantee that my research is perfect or even remotely accurate.

I have low quality Wargame Red Dragon casts on my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/XanderTuron

Steamfunk
Lieutenant

Postby Steamfunk » Sun 25 Feb 2018 20:29

I think it comes down to there being a number of clone units and a desire to use local names where possible. I found the Israel to be one of the most confusing, I don't know why they couldn't have used the standard US designations. It's the same with Yugoslavia and Finland to some degree, but it's always been confusing as far as infantry are concerned.

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Mon 26 Feb 2018 03:11

Steamfunk wrote:I think it comes down to there being a number of clone units and a desire to use local names where possible. I found the Israel to be one of the most confusing, I don't know why they couldn't have used the standard US designations. It's the same with Yugoslavia and Finland to some degree, but it's always been confusing as far as infantry are concerned.

Have you considered that (in the case of Yugo) using domestic naming conventions would be more immersive?

This is one of the nicer things in the game, to be honest.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Mon 26 Feb 2018 03:42

I guess when you have clones, you have to make at least the branding different ;)

Also if you see talk of proleteri you immediately have a clue which nation it belongs to ... not so easy if it'd be riflemen #1033. I guess it's sometimes confusing esp. as it's not uniform, but if you actively play a deck you'll pick up most names fairly quickly, and after that a unique name is handy for eg. balance discussions, you don't have to specify "no no I mean the west german riflemen, not polish..!".

HrcAk47 wrote:This is one of the nicer things in the game, to be honest.

I would have to agree, especially the infantry names add a lot of flavour. In what other games can your tiny never-heard european/asian nation with its old UAZ and a bunch of riflemen (and the supertank according to up-to-date 1990 standards which in reality never existed) make world history? I guess many players whose nation happens to be in just love that, even with the occasional misspelling (shudder)... :shock: almost got over the lathi rifle already :? :D

Also names like "fighting falcon" or "starfighter" are very iconic... wouldn't make sense to have the units without, but then again - if they weren't used by the danish or germans, would be out of place there.

Are there actually units that should/could still be standardized, taking into account all of the above? :?

damoj
Command Sergeant Major

Postby damoj » Mon 26 Feb 2018 10:09

lastcrusade101 wrote:What I mean is: why does the same unit (or unit type) have different names? For example, in F-16s, some say "Fighting Falcon" while others do not. They even have units with the same name (MiG 21 bis, F-16A MLU, etc).

Seems to be arbitrary, or more accurately, a product of the piecemeal, ad hoc, bit-by-bit production of assets that is constitutive of the entire Wargame series, much less RD's DLCs.

There are even a few F16/F-16 style typos.

Given the current internal state of Eugen, and the ostensible end of the Red Dragon product cycle, it is unlikely that these sorts of mild inconsistencies will ever be addressed.

Scheintot887
Sergeant

Postby Scheintot887 » Mon 26 Feb 2018 15:16

What do you mean?
These are nicknames used by armies. The Fighting Falcon is the USAF F-16s nickname. The Israeli Airforce has nicknamed it Barack.
And so on ...

Logic:
Army stands in relationship to their units with custom nicknames.
Army - Unit (customNickname);

They all make sense actually.

Fodder
Sergeant Major

Postby Fodder » Mon 26 Feb 2018 19:19

As stated above it's to give units distinction between each other.

It's so bad how they named japan, hachi-maru shiki instead of Type 89 or Kyu-maru shiki instead of Type 90 but when comes to AA they used nicknames like Guntank, it makes it so confusing.

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Mon 26 Feb 2018 21:29

Is this your no.1. problem with WG...??? :shock:

Steamfunk
Lieutenant

Postby Steamfunk » Mon 26 Feb 2018 21:47

Edit: Not good enough.
Last edited by Steamfunk on Mon 26 Feb 2018 22:20, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”