Always sun and clouds on WAB?

User avatar
OpusTheFowl
General
Posts: 6660
Joined: Sun 26 Feb 2012 19:52
Location: White Rock, Canada
Contact:

Re: Always sun and clouds on WAB?

Postby OpusTheFowl » Tue 26 Feb 2013 20:17

I believe Delroy is taking mostly about a numerical "weather" system, not a graphical one.

"Why would it be so difficult to code for 50% slower movement of wheeled..."

...and I am totally in agreement with him. You can have great weather in WEE for ZERO performance hit if you don't add in all the graphical fluff...

Elukka
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 655
Joined: Sun 11 Mar 2012 23:00
Contact:

Re: Always sun and clouds on WAB?

Postby Elukka » Tue 26 Feb 2013 20:26

Highly detailed, complex FPS models are not really a good comparison to the heavily LODed, barely animated (in comparison) models that Wargame has. When you're zoomed out all you get are very low detail models with presumably tiny textures. Many things are just plain 2D. I don't believe there's any reason why weather effects would be particularly hardware heavy.

troublmaker
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue 14 Feb 2012 09:33
Contact:

Re: Always sun and clouds on WAB?

Postby troublmaker » Tue 26 Feb 2013 20:37

OpusTheFowl wrote:I believe Delroy is taking mostly about a numerical "weather" system, not a graphical one.

"Why would it be so difficult to code for 50% slower movement of wheeled..."

...and I am totally in agreement with him. You can have great weather in WEE for ZERO performance hit if you don't add in all the graphical fluff...


That wouldn't be hard at all. They don't even animate mud. But honestly who would care about "cold oils" or w/e debuff... it would just become replacement for "YOU STEPPED IN MUD."

My thought is that the game has to be simple enough so anyone would catch on to it but complicated enough to allow for fun and skillful play. Now let's say there are 10 debuffs you can randomly get. Well that seems less fun. I barely enjoy the "stuck in mud" mechanic.

User avatar
DelroyMonjo
Colonel
Posts: 2604
Joined: Sun 6 May 2012 19:20
Contact:

Re: Always sun and clouds on WAB?

Postby DelroyMonjo » Tue 26 Feb 2013 20:40

I will do that, troublmaker. And yet, people play Crysis 3 on an X-Box 360?
I really think maybe you are talking more about the drudgery of creating the visuals in the first place rather than their actual execution in a finished product.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

User avatar
DelroyMonjo
Colonel
Posts: 2604
Joined: Sun 6 May 2012 19:20
Contact:

Re: Always sun and clouds on WAB?

Postby DelroyMonjo » Tue 26 Feb 2013 20:58

troublmaker wrote:
DelroyMonjo wrote:I don't buy your explanation at all, troublmaker.


There's a simple way to prove this to you.....
If you zoom in on the units in the game you will see they're doing a tonne of crap. Similar games like Total War deal with 1/10 of the units per player.

Count the sprites!
Shogun2: I have an army containing 20 separate unit formations attacking another army with a similar makeup. Each unit formation can contain say, 60-150 men (sprites), all doing different things during a pitched battle. Arrows flying! Cavalry on horses surrounding opposing archers and slicing and dicing them to oblivion. Spear troops stopping oncoming cavalry and swordmen by the dozens slashing mano-a-mano, while my General is in the area dynamically imploring his troops to stand and fight!
Watch the snow fall. Watch the eyes glaze upward, unblinking. Death comes as cherry blossoms.
I have died a warrior.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

troublmaker
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 585
Joined: Tue 14 Feb 2012 09:33
Contact:

Re: Always sun and clouds on WAB?

Postby troublmaker » Tue 26 Feb 2013 21:30

DelroyMonjo wrote:I will do that, troublmaker. And yet, people play Crysis 3 on an X-Box 360?
I really think maybe you are talking more about the drudgery of creating the visuals in the first place rather than their actual execution in a finished product.


I think you're confusing the game Crysis 3 with the CryEngine. CryEngine 3 is capable of creating full on games with ease. It allows you to create and manipulate a lot of units and can be fun to play with. Crysis 3 runs on the CryEngine but has made made specifically so that it can be played on consoles. The quality of graphics on Crysis 3 console is vastly inferior to Crysis 3 for PC. There is absolutely no way the PC version of Crysis 3 can run on a console.

I only suggested it simply because it would be definitive proof that it won't blow up a computer. I'm running on a next gen video card so I'm fine, but I'm sure people with built ins would want to have a word with you.

User avatar
Sparika
Warrant Officer
Posts: 402
Joined: Sat 11 Feb 2012 15:06
Location: Rennes - France
Contact:

Re: Always sun and clouds on WAB?

Postby Sparika » Tue 26 Feb 2013 22:08

I fully agree on the numerical point.
As for the graphical point of view, if you render rain, there is less visibility, so less units to show and animate on screen.

But, as already said, I would be surprised if there was other weathers than sunny days. :(
Image
"You're not Stalin, and zone Bravo on Hell's Highway is not your motherland." - TheFluff
Spoiler : For her Majesty! :
Image

User avatar
DelroyMonjo
Colonel
Posts: 2604
Joined: Sun 6 May 2012 19:20
Contact:

Re: Always sun and clouds on WAB?

Postby DelroyMonjo » Tue 26 Feb 2013 22:47

troublmaker wrote:
DelroyMonjo wrote:I will do that, troublmaker. And yet, people play Crysis 3 on an X-Box 360?
I really think maybe you are talking more about the drudgery of creating the visuals in the first place rather than their actual execution in a finished product.


I think you're confusing the game Crysis 3 with the CryEngine. CryEngine 3 is capable of creating full on games with ease. It allows you to create and manipulate a lot of units and can be fun to play with. Crysis 3 runs on the CryEngine but has made made specifically so that it can be played on consoles. The quality of graphics on Crysis 3 console is vastly inferior to Crysis 3 for PC. There is absolutely no way the PC version of Crysis 3 can run on a console.

I only suggested it simply because it would be definitive proof that it won't blow up a computer. I'm running on a next gen video card so I'm fine, but I'm sure people with built ins would want to have a word with you.


Not confused at all. Crysis3 on and X-Box was just an example used while looking for the Cry engine to d/l, which I did. Unpacked it and now just have to find the file with the Cry.exe in it or at least a readme.txt so I can find where to start. :lol:
As for hadware-got it covered. I feel fine playing at 147FPS in WEE @1920X1080-24" Maxed out w/ insane ground texture, NO pesky clouds and med water... because EUGEN didn't put in shorebirds or geese to look at. Of course, my FPS will drop to 40-45 or so if I zoom all the way in to look at a pair of burning, smoking T80's just dispatched by a pair of Leo2A4's and a Patton M60 round or 2 in the side. ;)
Illegitimi non carborundum.

User avatar
ericdude88
Captain
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sat 10 Mar 2012 00:56

Re: Always sun and clouds on WAB?

Postby ericdude88 » Wed 27 Feb 2013 00:30

DelroyMonjo wrote:Because fighting in the snow is haarrrd!

16 Jan, 1940: Captured documents reveal Hitler's plans for the invasion of Scandinavia and a postponement of the invasion of France and the Low Countries until the Spring, when the weather is more compatible for an invasion.

13 Nov, 1941: Germans start a new offensive against Moscow as the muddy ground freezes again.

4 Dec,1941: The temperature on the Moscow front falls to -31°F (-37°C).[3] German attacks are failing.

5 Dec, 1941: Germans call off the attack on Moscow, now 11 miles away; the USSR counter-attacks during a heavy blizzard.

16 Dec, 1941: The German offensive around Moscow is now at a complete halt.

30 Jan, 1942: Hitler speaks at the Berlin Sportpalast and threatens the Jews of the world with annihilation; he also blames the failure of the offensive in Soviet Union on the weather.

21 Jan, 1943: Last airfield at Stalingrad is taken by Red forces, ensuring that the Luftwaffe will be unable to supply German troops any further; Hitler still demands that Friedrich Paulus continue the fight.

31 Jan, 1943: Friedrich Paulus (Generalfeldmarschall in command of the German 6th Army) and his staff surrender to Soviet troops in Stalingrad.

Fighting in sunny weather is a bit different.

25 Jun, 1940: France officially surrenders to Germany.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Graphic
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 10588
Joined: Mon 30 Apr 2012 10:18
Location: Battle Born
Contact:

Re: Always sun and clouds on WAB?

Postby Graphic » Wed 27 Feb 2013 00:45

I can understand not having snow and rainstorms and stuff, but a chance of having an overcast day wouldn't be taxing on anyone's computer I'd think.
k

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 13 guests