Campaign sets unrealistic goals.

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Campaign sets unrealistic goals.

Postby orcbuster » Sun 9 Jun 2013 12:48

I beat the 4th campaign on very hard by only deploying 2 reinforcement BGs (one danish home guard and a marine bg) in total and spending most of my points on strategic aids. think it was day 10 or 9 at that point.
Viker for ingen!

MateoTTR
Private First-Class

Postby MateoTTR » Sun 9 Jun 2013 13:27

I am a litte puzzled with statements such as "I beat the campaigns on hardest difficulty with only 2 battle groups" whereas a large part of the community struggles with the SP mode.

For me it reveals that the whole thing is poorly designed. Sure the AI is dumb an you can find some way to exploit its stupidity. That is just no fun at all.
For most players, not much is explained on how to succeed in the campaign and the 20 page manual for sure does not help.

I am still waiting for some guidance on how the campaigns can be beaten in the current state of the game.

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Sun 9 Jun 2013 13:33

Ill make a battlelog walkthrough when i get home from vacation in 40 days :p
Viker for ingen!

MateoTTR
Private First-Class

Postby MateoTTR » Sun 9 Jun 2013 13:37

Looking forward to it !
Meanwhile can you give some tips regarding the strategic maps, BG control and perks usage ?
I have no issue with tactical battles really, I just cannot find the riht way to play on the strategic map...

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Sun 9 Jun 2013 13:54

its hard to explain. on the 4th campaign I started out by doing a lot of R&R. For the Northern soviet assaults you want to go for point victories by beating down their morale and initiative with naval strikes and air raids. Initial air raid on trondheim is a must. same for the south. Also cover yourself initially with aircover in all sectors where you expect assaults and go for thw option where the enemy vannot deploy amphibious bgs. That time you use to recharge your swedish brigades with the exception of two northern ones who need to move northwards to establish a front there. Whent the high morale/init polish bgs eventually land you need to beatm emwith everything you got to reduce their int with air raids and pushing their frontline back with several high int BGs for a decisive CV kill victory, expect to loose the initattle. in the south you should hold their initial push for then to cap their home base in kiel.
Viker for ingen!

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tigga » Sun 9 Jun 2013 16:20

MateoTTR wrote:
Tigga wrote:If anything I find the campaigns have unrealistically high time limits. It's rare I get anywhere near the time limit before the war is won.

Tigga can you explain how you win the 2nd campaign just withn a few days?
The tactical fights I can win easily, but I must doing something wrong in the way I spend my politcal points, or in the choice I make where to deploy my troops and where to attack.

Ok, I'll give it a go. I'll be honest and say it's rare I get to the stage in a game where somebody doesn't say "oh, this is obviously game over". I'll pop in on very hard difficulty and start it up now and see how it goes. I'll report back when I'm done, but I'll also cast it live on http://www.twitch.tv/tgapples.

MateoTTR
Private First-Class

Postby MateoTTR » Sun 9 Jun 2013 16:24

Thanks, I am tuning in right now !

erolu
Private

Postby erolu » Sun 9 Jun 2013 17:01

I agree with the comments above on time limit, AI Cheating, Drawing battles, etc...

I have other couple ideas on why this mode has been poorly executed.

The SP campaign is poorly coded for a couple reasons:

1) They do not want users to play in single player. The devs do not want to work to develop good content/write good AI because that takes work, time and $$$. They got about halfway on this game...great graphics, great units (lots of detail, lots of units to choose from) but the campaign is programmed as if an intern wrote it. Multi-player mode makes its own content. It's like the reality TV craze. Reality tv isn't popular because it's so great, it's because it's all the TV channels will make because it's cheap-- low writer labor and production cost.....same thing with video games. And like a bunch of sheep, we eat it up thinking, OMG were on the interweb, this must be better". So what has happened? Games become horribly watered down and poorly thought out and fall woefully short of expectations and force users to go online -- hence Wargame:AirLand Battle (how's that for a name?)

2) Eugen is French. So of course retreating and losing battles is a legit option for a war.

Cheese eating surrender monkies. Yeah, that was harsh....but so was taking 40$ for this crap game.

Tigga
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tigga » Sun 9 Jun 2013 18:04

MateoTTR wrote:Thanks, I am tuning in right now !

Hope it helped!

D-M

Postby D-M » Sun 9 Jun 2013 18:44

erolu wrote:I agree with the comments above on time limit, AI Cheating, Drawing battles, etc...

I have other couple ideas on why this mode has been poorly executed.

The SP campaign is poorly coded for a couple reasons:

1) They do not want users to play in single player. The devs do not want to work to develop good content/write good AI because that takes work, time and $$$. They got about halfway on this game...great graphics, great units (lots of detail, lots of units to choose from) but the campaign is programmed as if an intern wrote it. Multi-player mode makes its own content. It's like the reality TV craze. Reality tv isn't popular because it's so great, it's because it's all the TV channels will make because it's cheap-- low writer labor and production cost.....same thing with video games. And like a bunch of sheep, we eat it up thinking, OMG were on the interweb, this must be better". So what has happened? Games become horribly watered down and poorly thought out and fall woefully short of expectations and force users to go online -- hence Wargame:AirLand Battle (how's that for a name?)

2) Eugen is French. So of course retreating and losing battles is a legit option for a war.

Cheese eating surrender monkies. Yeah, that was harsh....but so was taking 40$ for this crap game.

This is beautiful, a true work of art.