[Renamed] The W:RD Movie / Sandbox Mod!!!

Moderators: Eugen Team, Focus Team

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Re: The W:AB ULTIMATE Sandbox/Testing/quasi-Movie Mod!!!

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 8 Mar 2014 02:39

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:
The W:AB Noob wrote:gdk, but it looks like a dev has been asked and it is not modable
:cry:
What isn't moddable?

Can't mod the fact that you can control enemy units
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Sat 8 Mar 2014 05:35

The W:AB Noob wrote:Can't mod the fact that you can control enemy units
So having PACT and NATO units on the same team is still a maybe?

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 8 Mar 2014 06:33

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:
The W:AB Noob wrote:Can't mod the fact that you can control enemy units
So having PACT and NATO units on the same team is still a maybe?

It is possible, but it will take a ton of time

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Sat 8 Mar 2014 08:19

The W:AB Noob wrote:It is possible, but it will take a ton of time
Could you displace the data onto another program and replace the current code with that code? Perhaps you could get the computer to do it for you with some basic recognition program.

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 8 Mar 2014 15:51

I was thinking about quitting this project because of the hard work that it would be and because I do not have much support from the general public.
But then I saw alphazulu90's signature that he made for this and now I am inspired to do more.
Here is my plan for this mod:

The W:AB Movie mod will only be beta to see what does and does not work. It is only available to the devs and collaborators to this project. Our lessons learned from this mod will help us to make the W:RD Movie mod, which will hopefully have more support and last longer, since W:AB is now dying out.
(W:RD movie mod - imagine the ship-spam...)

It is impossible to control enemy units unless you are eugen, as said here:
Vasily Krysov wrote:I asked a dev on your behalf.

Vasily Krysov: out of curiosity, is it technically possible for a modder to renable the "control both sides" bug as seen in the RD beta?
VK: someone has heard about it and wants to use it in a unit testing/movie making mod
Dev: I don't think so
Dev: UltaControl (as we call it) is usually enabled at compile time with preprocessor defines. It can't be enabled in a final version
VK: ah, thank you!

So looks like your quest is futile I am afraid :(

So yeah, not happening. I don't know how to code either. (I have only been modding video games for about 9 months now)
The closest we can get is modding the AI decks to only have 1 certain tank or other unit, probably the most common units.

SEEDMAN, are you able to make textures? This is not related, just a question.

If anybody knows how to do the mod installer, that would be great because I have no idea how to program (I don't even know any programming languages besides C++) We are trying to put our custom video instead of the eugen logo video in the data.dat

Also SEEDMAN, do you want to help mod this or would you rather stay clean?
(the hard part about this mod is not the difficulty, but the amount of manual work we have to do.

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sun 9 Mar 2014 16:26

Okay, as far as I know, there are 3 possible ways to make our movie mod successful.
1. Keep every unit as NATO, and switch the database of units all to NATO manually. This is probably the hardest, and for some reason, it crashes for now, and I do not know what I changed, but once we fix that, there is a chance that PACT and NATO units will all be Canadian and in one deck.
2. Revert PACT units back to NATO and switch all PACT units to a different country, not Canada. This is probably the safest route, but all the units won't be in one deck anymore.
3. Revert PACT units back to NATO but let them stay as Canadian but make Canada a PACT and NATO country. I doubt it's gonna work, and I am not sure what will happen then.

If anybody else has any ideas, let me know!

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Mon 10 Mar 2014 02:30

I can make textures, but the idea of manually making a texture for every single unit and then resize it is quite daunting. As for modding, if you could tell me what I'm supposed to do then I think I could manage.

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Mon 10 Mar 2014 05:26

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:I can make textures, but the idea of manually making a texture for every single unit and then resize it is quite daunting. As for modding, if you could tell me what I'm supposed to do then I think I could manage.

Nice! The texture question does not have to do anything with this mod though. I was just wondering. I know how hard it is to edit and save textures.

In the next few months while W:AB still lasts (barely), I will be making deadlines for you and alphazulu, like change 100 units' nationalitie to null in a week, which won't be too hard. Of course, I will still be doing the majority of the mod. I'll probably send you a PM with the mod and instructions tomorrow. Then it will be zulu's turn, then I will finish our task in the following weeks. This way, we split up the work and changing so many units won't seem that hard to the same results.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Mon 10 Mar 2014 06:45

I look forward to it!

enohka
Second-Lieutenant

Postby enohka » Mon 10 Mar 2014 16:46

Honestly, I don't really understand what you guys are trying to achieve here.

If you wanna make movies out of ingame scenes - how about just creating them out of different replays? To create a proper movie, you wont come around cutting and so on.

The camera mod is already more than enough to do that kind of stuff.

Even if you manage to controll all kinds units as one player, how do you plan do capture battles? If your NATO and WP units are all in one team, they won't engage each others -> no battle -> no cool movie.

If you ask me, thats the first answer to the question why you don't get that much of positive feedback as you hoped. Additionally I'd like to mention that it seems like you have no idea how much effort the community already took to make modding to this degree possible at all.

And replacing the intro movies is nothing new at all either. Select the video you wanna replace in the edata file, click on "Replace raw", pick a video of your choice and enjoy. Vato's mod installer is inhertided of the modding suites functionality, it's there to make the distribution of mods more simple. You don't need it for playing around with such things.

Return to “Modding”