Why Clans?

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Why Clans?

Postby The W:AB Noob » Fri 4 Apr 2014 07:29

Just wondering - why do people have clans?
What does it do?
Is there a clan option like there was in W:EE? (Probably not, right?)
Why do people want to be in clans?

I don't really get it, but I interested to know.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.4.2, the Final and Ultimate Patch Click -> Image

KattiValk
General

Re: Why Clans?

Postby KattiValk » Fri 4 Apr 2014 07:42

Clans are usually TS IPs that people play on. I've yet to see a non-TS oriented clan but I'm sure they're out there.

Jereth
Lieutenant

Postby Jereth » Fri 4 Apr 2014 07:51

Hmm this is some deep existential stuff... 8-)

Seems pretty obvious to me. Why multiplayer? Clans (or guilds, corporations, player associations, or whatever you want to call them) are simply a natural progression of the multiplayer aspect of pretty much any online game.

In a game like Wargame, teamplay is a highly rewarding experience. Playing with the same team repeatedly allows you to develop a relationship and a trust that you don't get with random teammates. Sharing the glory of your victories and the pain of your defeats with your friends helps you get a sense of esprit-de-corps and camaraderie that you'll never feel if you always play solo or with random pickup groups.

It's a shame that Eugen dropped the clan tag functionality of W:EE and never iterated on it. More in-game support of clan functionality would be awesome. Thankfully we have a pretty vibrant and competitive community regardless.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Fri 4 Apr 2014 08:03

Jereth wrote:It's a shame that Eugen dropped the clan tag functionality of W:EE and never iterated on it. More in-game support of clan functionality would be awesome. Thankfully we have a pretty vibrant and competitive community regardless.
I'm not so sure. I see far too many people instantly leave at the sight of clan tags. They just run at first glance (it's funny since we often bring along a noob of our own).

Dimonay
Lieutenant

Postby Dimonay » Fri 4 Apr 2014 08:23

kiheerSEDMAN wrote:
Jereth wrote:It's a shame that Eugen dropped the clan tag functionality of W:EE and never iterated on it. More in-game support of clan functionality would be awesome. Thankfully we have a pretty vibrant and competitive community regardless.
I'm not so sure. I see far too many people instantly leave at the sight of clan tags. They just run at first glance (it's funny since we often bring along a noob of our own).

You did not have to have them on :mrgreen:
For me it was just a great way of getting to know other good players that would not just quit on you.

Jereth
Lieutenant

Postby Jereth » Fri 4 Apr 2014 08:39

Yeah and besides, I'd rather have randoms who aren't confident enough quit before the game rather than 5 minutes in. :lol:

The idea behind iterating on the clan function would be to make it easier and encourage people to find and play with organized teams, so that eventually clans can regularly spar with each other rather than noob stomping all the time.

At least we have the friends list... W:EE's clan system was basically a glorified friends list that you could choose to display publicly if you wanted. You could even form multiple lists and activate whichever tag you wanted. It perhaps wasn't all that it could have been, but it certainly wasn't bad and I'm not sure why they scrapped it.

[DAY]Topspin2005
General

Postby [DAY]Topspin2005 » Fri 4 Apr 2014 13:16

Because players in a clan want to learn the game, meet nice people, have a lot of fun over TS, etc.

I enjoy it for years and i still like every day to join the TS3 and meet all our members there :mrgreen:

@Jereth: I don't get is as well, why clans are not getting supported in Wargame:RD. Still no 3v3/4v4 league experience and still no tool to organize tournaments ... :roll:

Crotou
Colonel

Postby Crotou » Fri 4 Apr 2014 13:18

Yep, still no proper spectator mode, no better replay system, etc. :|

D-M

Postby D-M » Fri 4 Apr 2014 13:30

Buuutt you can sloooow down the gaem !!!

naizarak
Captain

Postby naizarak » Fri 4 Apr 2014 21:54

because people don't want to play with mindless pub teammates

Return to “Clans”