Plane Control?

angustaylor
First Sergeant
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat 27 Jul 2013 16:11
Contact:

Plane Control?

Postby angustaylor » Fri 11 Apr 2014 08:22

Is it just me, or has there been little to no improvement in plane control in RD?

Planes still evac out in stupid ways (doesn't seem to be any way to control the evac route - maybe I'm just dumb).

Planes still take stupid routes to their targets and behave counter-intuitively when ordered.

I realize this isn't going to happen, but what was needed was a mission planner - there should be a little planning interface where you define the mission - approach route, mission type, target if necessary, and evac route. With a slick interface, you could create one of these missions in no time flat.

It could also allow for pre-planned missions triggered by keystroke, so I could maybe summon 2xASF for CAP circles behind my lines by hitting NUM-3.

User avatar
Scharnberg
Master Sergeant
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed 22 May 2013 11:17
Contact:

Re: Plane Control?

Postby Scharnberg » Fri 11 Apr 2014 09:14

They have said earlierr that there will be added a function in options that can turn off the auto the evac. This Means even if your planes fires all of its loadouts it will not evac. Only if you press the button or it run out of fuel :)
Pro Rege Et Grege

Fascist Pink
Sergeant Major
Posts: 288
Joined: Wed 19 Feb 2014 09:31
Contact:

Re: Plane Control?

Postby Fascist Pink » Fri 11 Apr 2014 09:23

In addition to manual evac, there's a giant arrow showing where the planes will go when you deploy them. Plane micro has actually been made much easier.

User avatar
Prettyhill
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 710
Joined: Thu 16 Feb 2012 11:52
Location: Tromsø, Norway
Contact:

Re: Plane Control?

Postby Prettyhill » Fri 11 Apr 2014 09:56

I feel air control is a little more responsive in RD compared to ALB.

I agree that proficient aircraft handlling requires some feeling about the individual planes and intuition, and could be more user friendly.

Some tips that can make it less frustrating:

- Aircraft evac towards the air corridor from which they entered the map.
- The "stupid route to target happens" when the target is to close and the aircrafts flight characteristics doe not allow for a target solution. This happens when target is changed to far from the aircrafts vector, and is mostly a problem with helicopters that are moving towards the aircraft. Sometimes is is better to just fly approximatly through the air target (the missiles will launch off-vector) compared to use "attack" where the plane will try to lay its gun on target.

Other than that, If someone could link DeuZerres guide on air movement from ALB it would be nice. I was unable to find it.
"Am i really discussing wargames here with people who have never heard of Fistful of TOWs? I guess that explains why no one has a clue as to what a wargame is then." -Sharky Ward

User avatar
Dimonay
Lieutenant
Posts: 1366
Joined: Sun 11 Mar 2012 19:59
Contact:

Re: Plane Control?

Postby Dimonay » Fri 11 Apr 2014 10:28

Prettyhill wrote:Other than that, If someone could link DeuZerres guide on air movement from ALB it would be nice. I was unable to find it.

Sure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMlrAcxPBwM&list=UULVoWjDjLK0fZ5FYURt47jA

User avatar
SzikraTheDragon
Sergeant First-Class
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat 1 Mar 2014 02:13
Location: Hungary
Contact:

Re: Plane Control?

Postby SzikraTheDragon » Fri 11 Apr 2014 18:59

Actually I feel, it is worse than the method in ALB... back then if I clicked properly, it took the turn as I expected, it was just knowing where to click, now wherever I click it feels ages to turn and sometimes turns in truly nonsense ways. I don't like it that much.
Image

audigex
Sergeant First-Class
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri 6 Dec 2013 17:16
Contact:

Re: Plane Control?

Postby audigex » Fri 11 Apr 2014 19:49

Firstly, learn how the planes turn - they take the shortest route to the destination. Sometimes, that means a counter-intuitive 270 degree turn the wrong way, but it's PREDICTABLY counter-intuitive. Learn how that works and you can plan your approach to avoid it

Secondly, shift-click (stacked) moves are your friend. Hold shift an set waypoints to stack your orders, and you can make the plane face the way you want after an attack.

If you turn off auto-evac, you can even make the plane fly somewhere you want before evac'ing.

angustaylor
First Sergeant
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat 27 Jul 2013 16:11
Contact:

Re: Plane Control?

Postby angustaylor » Sat 12 Apr 2014 02:36

Scharnberg wrote:They have said earlierr that there will be added a function in options that can turn off the auto the evac. This Means even if your planes fires all of its loadouts it will not evac. Only if you press the button or it run out of fuel :)


OK - but a) this does ALMOST nothing to improve plane control - only really relevant in the case of planes that incorrectly winchestered or when you wanted to keep doing gun runs b) it's not a button in the interface, so it's not really very useful - I can't toggle it on and off.

Fascist Pink wrote:In addition to manual evac, there's a giant arrow showing where the planes will go when you deploy them. Plane micro has actually been made much easier.


Only really relevant on 10v10 - on other maps, there's typically only one air corridor. If the arrow showed for all maneuvers (i.e. when you have a plane selected, there is always an arrow showing the path the plane will take when ordered, including turns and whatnot), that would be super handy.

audigex wrote:Firstly, learn how the planes turn - they take the shortest route to the destination. Sometimes, that means a counter-intuitive 270 degree turn the wrong way, but it's PREDICTABLY counter-intuitive. Learn how that works and you can plan your approach to avoid it

Secondly, shift-click (stacked) moves are your friend. Hold shift an set waypoints to stack your orders, and you can make the plane face the way you want after an attack.

If you turn off auto-evac, you can even make the plane fly somewhere you want before evac'ing.


Sorry, but saying that it's possible to learn the broken system does not mean that the system isn't broken. This was one of the main complaints about ALB - counter-intuitive, downright BAD plane control - and it's really bizarre that practically nothing has been done to fix it.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests