FIFA scandal. Plus CIA conspiracy theory!

User avatar
LoneRifle
Major-General
Posts: 3569
Joined: Wed 3 Jul 2013 17:11
Location: Cackalacky
Contact:

FIFA scandal. Plus CIA conspiracy theory!

Postby LoneRifle » Thu 28 May 2015 15:33

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32917364
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/sport ... .html?_r=0
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fifa-arrests-c ... on-1503124

Besides the rather obvious fact that FIFA is a thoroughly corrupt organization and that cleaning house is good thing, there lies a rather interesting question that arises out of all this. The USA was the one to kick in FIFA's door and ask the Swiss to arrest and extradite these officials. While these officials undoubtedly committed crimes worldwide, the USA can only go after them for crimes committed on US soil. Not that there isn't enough to put them away for awhile and start excising the bad officials, but it's only the tip of the iceberg. The vast majority of crimes were committed internationally, with the most obvious being the bribery scandals and the insane plan to host the World cup in Qatar during the summer, and the resulting human rights scandal from all the dead migrant bodies piling up at the stadiums.

Since I'm sure most of the European forum goers care a whole lot more about soccer than most Americans, it begs the question, was it a good thing the USA decided to "World Police" FIFA?

Or if you are a Russian viewer here, is it just another in a long list of American conspiracies to derail Russia's World Cup bid?
Image

User avatar
Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 10646
Joined: Sat 24 Mar 2012 18:08
Contact:

Re: FIFA scandal. Plus CIA conspiracy theory!

Postby Mitchverr » Thu 28 May 2015 15:45

Yes it was a good thing, the UK government has accused them repeatedly of this crap for years, we wont care, we will be glad i suspect and in fact UK sports minister even came out supporting this.

IIRC the only people against it are those who did(the country which basically imported slaves to build its new stadium for the event...) well from it and Russia...
Image

User avatar
BTR
General
Posts: 6298
Joined: Fri 9 Dec 2011 21:16
Location: Россия
Contact:

Re: FIFA scandal. Plus CIA conspiracy theory!

Postby BTR » Thu 28 May 2015 15:57

"The day after the cash payments were distributed, Mr. Warner called the Caribbean officials to a meeting, angered that one of them had alerted a higher-up to the payments. “There are some people here who think they are more pious than thou,” he said, according to the indictment. “If you’re pious, open a church, friends. Our business is our business.”"

:lol: Excellent. Good phrasing to use in forum battles as well.
Image

User avatar
BTR
General
Posts: 6298
Joined: Fri 9 Dec 2011 21:16
Location: Россия
Contact:

Re: FIFA scandal. Plus CIA conspiracy theory!

Postby BTR » Thu 28 May 2015 16:16

LoneRifle wrote:Or if you are a Russian viewer here, is it just another in a long list of American conspiracies to derail Russia's World Cup bid?


Even if it is, it didn't work - the article in nytimes said that places won't be renegotiated. As such, I don't care about this. It is shady that this was discovered back in 2013 and kept on the low until now though.
Image

User avatar
Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 12409
Joined: Thu 20 Feb 2014 01:09
Location: Virginia, United States of America
Contact:

Re: FIFA scandal. Plus CIA conspiracy theory!

Postby Mike » Thu 28 May 2015 16:24

BTR wrote:
LoneRifle wrote:Or if you are a Russian viewer here, is it just another in a long list of American conspiracies to derail Russia's World Cup bid?


Even if it is, it didn't work - the article in nytimes said that places won't be renegotiated. As such, I don't care about this. It is shady that this was discovered back in 2013 and kept on the low until now though.

Because no cared enough til now. And probably wasn't widely publicized until now
Image
Courtesy of KattiValk

User avatar
LoneRifle
Major-General
Posts: 3569
Joined: Wed 3 Jul 2013 17:11
Location: Cackalacky
Contact:

Re: FIFA scandal. Plus CIA conspiracy theory!

Postby LoneRifle » Thu 28 May 2015 16:27

They clearly wanted to get as many officials at once. Takes a LONG time to build a case, especially an international and complex one. And yes, no one really cared about Russia hosting the world cup probably, but the Qatari "play in the middle of summer in a desert" plus dead workers is something that raised to many questions to ignore.
Image

User avatar
BTR
General
Posts: 6298
Joined: Fri 9 Dec 2011 21:16
Location: Россия
Contact:

Re: FIFA scandal. Plus CIA conspiracy theory!

Postby BTR » Thu 28 May 2015 16:33

Mike wrote:
BTR wrote:
LoneRifle wrote:Or if you are a Russian viewer here, is it just another in a long list of American conspiracies to derail Russia's World Cup bid?


Even if it is, it didn't work - the article in nytimes said that places won't be renegotiated. As such, I don't care about this. It is shady that this was discovered back in 2013 and kept on the low until now though.

Because no cared enough til now. And probably wasn't widely publicized until now


Even more reasons not to care then. Maradonna's been whistling FIFA since the mid 90'sm but nothing changed until recently anyways. It does feel like a smug attempt to bring Russia into this over any other country, especially if you read the nytimes article, but this must be the flavour the decade I suppose.
Image

User avatar
[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 15486
Joined: Thu 30 Jun 2011 13:31
Location: Paris, France.
Contact:

Re: FIFA scandal. Plus CIA conspiracy theory!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Thu 28 May 2015 16:35

Corruption within the FIFA!?!? :shock:
Who would have guessed ...

At least tell me the International Olympic Committee is still the temple of probity and integrity it is supposed to be? :lol:

User avatar
LoneRifle
Major-General
Posts: 3569
Joined: Wed 3 Jul 2013 17:11
Location: Cackalacky
Contact:

Re: FIFA scandal. Plus CIA conspiracy theory!

Postby LoneRifle » Thu 28 May 2015 16:38

[EUG]MadMat wrote:Corruption within the FIFA!?!? :shock:
Who would have guessed ...

At least tell me the International Olympic Committee is still the temple of probity and integrity it is supposed to be? :lol:


Image

Soon....... :twisted: US Justice department will have it's due. Maybe we will even do some good before it is all over.

It does feel like a smug attempt to bring Russia into this over any other country, especially if you read the nytimes article, but this must be the flavour the decade I suppose.


Putin started it. Hence why I joked it was a CIA conspiracy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/29/sport ... occer.html
Image

User avatar
BTR
General
Posts: 6298
Joined: Fri 9 Dec 2011 21:16
Location: Россия
Contact:

Re: FIFA scandal. Plus CIA conspiracy theory!

Postby BTR » Thu 28 May 2015 16:46

[EUG]MadMat wrote:At least tell me the International Olympic Committee is still the temple of probity and integrity it is supposed to be? :lol:


I'm really wishing for winter Olympics in Dubai, aren't you?
Image

Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests