US Motorized/Airborne Infantry

thehitman009
Corporal

US Motorized/Airborne Infantry

Postby thehitman009 » Fri 20 May 2016 13:20

I would very much like to see US decks get access to shock infantry for their motorized and airborne deck capabilities. Unless I'm mistaken, they are currently the only deck to not have this option.

Discussion:

Primary Action: I think they easiest way to implement this is to give shock training to US Light Riflemen. Currently, US Light Riflemen '90 (with only regular training) are overpriced at 25 pts with lower availability per card than other shock light rifles that have a similar cost. This seems like an oversight to me. With shock training, I think a 20 pt or 25 pt cost could be justified, with higher availability in line with other shock light rifle units. Additionally, the implementation of shock training would make US Light Riflemen underpriced at only 10 pts, so their cost would need to increase - again, with availability being standardized to other shock light rifle cards.

Alternative Action: A different route may be to add another US infantry unit, such as US Airborne/Paratroopers with shock training and weapons similar to Canadian Airborne, VDV, UK Paratroopers, etc. I think this would take much more effort but would be a welcome addition. In this case, assuming regular training remains for US light infantry, US Light Riflemen '90 should have their cost adjusted from 25 pts to 15 pts as their ATGM is pretty poor but has good range.

I think these changes would have minor impact on balance, but allow for more viable US motorized and airborne decks. What does the community think?

OTHOAB
Staff Sergeant

Re: US Motorized/Airborne Infantry

Postby OTHOAB » Fri 20 May 2016 13:23

What about rangers?

thehitman009
Corporal

Postby thehitman009 » Fri 20 May 2016 13:37

I understand they are an infantry unit, but they are in the RECON tab. I'm talking about units in the INFANTRY tab.

thehitman009
Corporal

Postby thehitman009 » Sat 21 May 2016 11:18

Also after looking at the Polish light infantry, I would support giving them shock as well because their paratroopers are only available in the airborne deck, so they don't have a good motorized option.

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Sat 21 May 2016 11:29

Been brought up multiple times before, it's not happening. You're too late.

thehitman009
Corporal

Postby thehitman009 » Sat 21 May 2016 11:36

But why? I don't see how it creates a balance issue when every other deck has shock infantry options...

Shouldn't we always be striving to make the game more dynamic and fun?

Demonicjapsel
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Demonicjapsel » Sat 21 May 2016 13:47

thehitman009 wrote:But why? I don't see how it creates a balance issue when every other deck has shock infantry options...

Shouldn't we always be striving to make the game more dynamic and fun?

because most Motorized decks made considerable trade offs in other equipment, East Germany, for instance, which holds the title of best infantry deck in the game (Mot Schutzen wipe MG 3 spam, and can simply grind down the stuff that is better), makes considerable tradeoffs for this boon.

Chances are the reasoning about the crappy US infantry tab has to do a lot with the fact that the US should have had overwhelming technical superiority, which compensated for the relatively bad infantry.

If you want to fix the US, restore its technological edge, rather then buffing its infantry

Miskyavine
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Miskyavine » Sat 21 May 2016 14:18

Riflemen 90 getting the Minimi is not only Authentic,Realistic it also makes a shit infantry unit decent Diggers 90 are a good unit (minus AT) but thats not an issue when for 5 more points you have SHOCK. Commandos 90 with a Carl Gustav. the only decent US infantry is USMC 90 and thats 45 points in the cheapest transport so. Riflemen 90 with Minimi would be pretty freaking sweet not to mention the US military is first and only military (by 1990) to field the MINIMI (M249 in RL) to regular soldiers in any meaningfull numbers. (Alot of M60s around but thats mostly national guard at that point wich would just be base riflemen anyway) I wish Riflemen 90 looked like Riflemen 90 anyway
it would go from Riflemen 75 on the right side
to Riflemen 90
And even if the ignorant comments of American Infantry are only good in hollywood were said it still should not be an excuse to screw them out of equipment they fielded 7 years before the cutoff date thats just a piss poor excuse at best. In fact the US army still uses the M249 while the Marine Corp phasing it out.
How i feel when reading the OFF TOPIC section of the forums http://imgur.com/gallery/t9IXqDs

nande
Lieutenant

Postby nande » Sat 21 May 2016 17:27

thehitman009 wrote:I would very much like to see US decks get access to shock infantry for their motorized and airborne deck capabilities. Unless I'm mistaken, they are currently the only deck to not have this option.
Yes, you're mistaken. Not many nations have that option, and the US is better off than some. The USSR, Dutch-German Corps, Denmark and SK don't have any shock in motorised decks, not even recon. China, Sweden and Poland have no regular shock, just like the US.
I don't think the situation for airborne any different.

Why not play NORAD if you're concerned about specialized decks?

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Sat 21 May 2016 17:36

NORAD Moto is one of the more viable Moto decks out there. You won't win an extended fight against NSWP Mech, but it's more than what most can attest to. The Eryx nerf may have hurt it a bit though as stunning infantry will be harder.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”