New PC

Z4ndman
Corporal

New PC

Postby Z4ndman » Tue 11 Dec 2012 10:46

Hi

I'm building a new gaming desktop and I'm currently looking at what components I want in it. If any PC-buffs could tell me if this build is solid, I would appreciate it :)

CPU:
Intel® Core™ i5-2300 Processor (2.8GHz)
http://ark.intel.com/products/52206/Int ... o-3_10-GHz

MOTHERBOARD:
P67A-GD65 (B3)
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-GD65 ... div=Detail

GRAPHICS:
N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N670GTX- ... cification
-is there a difference wether the GTX is from ASUS or MSI?

RAM:
Kingston Hyperx 4GB DIMM DDR3

HDD:
Good ol' Western Digital blue wd3200bpvt (320GB, 2.5", SATA-300)

I'm still not sure about power supply, but perhaps I will update when I've had a look around.

Let me know what you think! Any comments are appreciated :mrgreen:
I expected psychotic cyborgs and jetpacks, not F2P and DRM.
Worst. Future. EVER.

4v4 Total Destruction is the gameplay equivalent of two morbidly obese people slamming their genitals together. Of course I don't have the stomach for it. :lol: -Graphic

Romiros
That was soooo easy

Re: New PC

Postby Romiros » Tue 11 Dec 2012 12:14

How much money you've got for that?

Z4ndman
Corporal

Postby Z4ndman » Tue 11 Dec 2012 12:32

About 750€ I guess. These parts I can get to about 720€, and then I hobe to find a power supply that isnt to expensive!
Worst. Future. EVER.

4v4 Total Destruction is the gameplay equivalent of two morbidly obese people slamming their genitals together. Of course I don't have the stomach for it. :lol: -Graphic

Romiros
That was soooo easy

Postby Romiros » Tue 11 Dec 2012 12:39

i5-2300 didn't balance to gtx 670, CPU will slow GPU down. You need at least Intel Core i5-2500K to use all potential of chosen GPU

Z4ndman
Corporal

Postby Z4ndman » Tue 11 Dec 2012 13:30

Alright thanks! :D

How about that GTX? I bought my previous card from ASUS and I recall that I had some problems with it. Don't know if it was hardware-related, but if anyone has any experience with different retailers, do speak up!
Worst. Future. EVER.

chema1994
Lieutenant General

Postby chema1994 » Tue 11 Dec 2012 18:09

720€ for a high end computer?
maybe its time to buy a new PC...
and on-topic which is the adecuate CPU for a GTX560? the i7 worth its price?

DelroyMonjo
Colonel

Postby DelroyMonjo » Tue 11 Dec 2012 19:54

I am going to suggest you look at
http://www.tomshardware.com
for some reviews of SYSTEMS and components.
http://www.newegg.com
is a No. American e-tailer and doesn't sell in Europe but you can look at a lot of reviews from ACTUAL purchasers of the products and get a feel for what people feel they get for their money and their general satisfaction with the products.
These are just a few of many review sites, of course, but remember, Google is your friend, especially when you are spending 750 Euros.
For my biased suggestions, consider a later model Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80637i53350P. It is about the same price but has no built in graphics which you don't need and is capable of overclocking if you choose to do so in the future. Also uses a bit less power. You might consider a bit less expensive motherboard if you don't need the extra PCI-e slots but keep in mind if you want to have upgrade options for the CPU and RAM. You can get 8GB of RAM in 2 ea. 4GB sticks, I'd recommend that as it isn't that much more expensive and only fills 2 slots which is necessary for dual channel memory. Any Nvidia 670 video card is going to be a Beast and they only come in GTX models anyway. You don't mention the size or resolution of your monitor but a 670 will handle most anything you throw at it. Just look at the price you are willing to pay and don't worry too much about clock speeds on these cards but be more concerned with the warranties and reliability. Again, read other reviews! As for the power supply-NEVER_EVER go cheap on a power supply for your computer! Most modern video cards require 2 ea. 6-pin power connectors or even a 6-pin and an 8-pin connector. These will only come with a 550 W PSU or greater and try to get at least a Bronze certified PSU as they are simply more efficient and often have better protection. REVIEWS AGAIN! Pay the extra 20-30 Euros and save yourself some grief if that means you have to defer the movies or game purchases for the next month or two.

Don't just take my opinion, do your research and good luck!

Edit: A WD 320GB Blue - SATA 1 ? You'll be sorry for not getting a 7200 RPM HDD SATA 2, even if it's 320GB.
Last edited by DelroyMonjo on Tue 11 Dec 2012 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

diana olympos
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby diana olympos » Tue 11 Dec 2012 20:02

The i7 is good but every time i think about it my first tought are "so more bucks for few more". It's the best of Intel Ivy bridge one, sure, but is the more worth the price.. i don't know...

Keep in mind that 720€ is without power supply and PC case... i think 150€ more for it is cool.

For a GTX560 don't buy it.. AMD is better price/performance ration ATM.

for 720 € i think it will be better to buy a Z77 motherboard (gigabyte have some pretty cool stuff too and good perfomance/price ratio) and a i5 2500K or 3XXXK

Think about amd Radeon 7870 or 7850 or 7950.... pretty good ATM, less expensive... and send money into good power supply and high end box like more than 100€ (depend of what size for your PC you want...) . I think it's worth the price cause it can survive longer than your Motherboard or CPU and GPU.

I'm an electronics engineer and i look close to the electronics and computer component market so if you want more advice you can ask.

Additionally, i think that a less expensive GPU and CPU and a better HDD and maybe a little SSd would be better for perfomance... those parts have evoled pretty fast during last years

DelroyMonjo
Colonel

Postby DelroyMonjo » Tue 11 Dec 2012 20:17

Just saw your post, diana, and being an Nvidia fanboy I am not going to argue about the 560 vid card, forget about it. Yes, AMD cards are less expensive than comparable Nvidia cards. But really! A case is a case and many can be had for a reasonable price ~$50USD. One of my favorites is the Antec 300 but there are plenty of others to choose from without spending the big money. How many fans, how quiet, large enough to fit my components, cooling/fan mount locations, external ports should guide one in how much they need to spend on a case. We certainly agree on the PSU situation and getting the latest iteration of MB chipset and CPU just makes sense...
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Z4ndman
Corporal

Postby Z4ndman » Wed 12 Dec 2012 01:17

Whoah! Thanks for the info guys.

Definately gonna check up on components tomorrow. I've alway thought that graphics where the most important part, but its probably true that I need to consider CPU and even storage some more.

Will check out some AMD too, but I might also be a little smitten by the Nvidia-fanboyism :P
Worst. Future. EVER.