Map editor

g0Dwarrior23
Corporal

Map editor

Postby g0Dwarrior23 » Fri 15 Feb 2013 19:40

I heard that we were promised we would have a map editor for European Escalation :|
I don't know if that was a lie or not, but can you guys please put one in Airland battle :D
"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons." -- Admiral David D. Porter, USN

Fri13
Lieutenant

Re: Map editor

Postby Fri13 » Fri 15 Feb 2013 20:27

g0Dwarrior23 wrote:I heard that we were promised we would have a map editor for European Escalation :|
I don't know if that was a lie or not, but can you guys please put one in Airland battle :D

I am 90% sure that it will never happend. Community is not getting SDK, modding tools or map editor.

They informed in beta that they are going to release modding tools (don't know about SDK but modding tools at least they talked), then they told us that they have plans for it.... and then some community members have been against it because it would "kill WG".

And forcing people to buy a next franchise is cheat dirty business way to get modding tools...

OpusTheFowl
General

Postby OpusTheFowl » Fri 15 Feb 2013 22:06

I'm pretty sure it was never a promise.

They changed their minds as it became totally not financially viable to create the tools required that would be functional for public use.

Word of caution, this thread will be left open but calling Eugen "dirty" is a sure way to get your post deleted (at the very least). Tread VERY lightly in this thread...This topic has been done to death...

Opinions are welcome but they must be respectful and follow the rules.

Thanks...

g0Dwarrior23
Corporal

Postby g0Dwarrior23 » Fri 15 Feb 2013 22:14

OpusTheFowl wrote:I'm pretty sure it was never a promise.

They changed their minds as it became totally not financially viable to create the tools required that would be functional for public use.

Word of caution, this thread will be left open but calling Eugen "dirty" is a sure way to get your post deleted (at the very least). Tread VERY lightly in this thread...This topic has been done to death...

Opinions are welcome but they must be respectful and follow the rules.

Thanks...

I did not call Eugen dirty
"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons." -- Admiral David D. Porter, USN

troublmaker
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby troublmaker » Fri 15 Feb 2013 22:52

Basically a map editor is a limited gaming engine. When I used to tinker around with the old WC3 map editor I'd never think about it this way. But then Crytek made their engine free to use and I got to see that they're very similar to each other. It took Crytek about a year to make that tool.

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Postby Shifu » Sat 16 Feb 2013 01:49

g0Dwarrior23 wrote:I did not call Eugen dirty
Well, then I'd assume the message was not pointing to you at that point, but someone else ;)

g0Dwarrior23
Corporal

Postby g0Dwarrior23 » Sat 16 Feb 2013 02:16

Shifu wrote:
g0Dwarrior23 wrote:I did not call Eugen dirty
Well, then I'd assume the message was not pointing to you at that point, but someone else ;)

He explained everything to me

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Sat 16 Feb 2013 11:49

Come to think of it, a map editor would be helpful for exploring game balance as well, as the terrain makes a big difference on which units are usable. The players could experiment a lot with placement of hills and copses etc.

Fri13
Lieutenant

Postby Fri13 » Sat 16 Feb 2013 14:33

:(
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Sat 16 Feb 2013 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Read the rules

Fri13
Lieutenant

Postby Fri13 » Sat 16 Feb 2013 14:46

varis wrote:Come to think of it, a map editor would be helpful for exploring game balance as well, as the terrain makes a big difference on which units are usable. The players could experiment a lot with placement of hills and copses etc.

We would still need a programmable AI so those tests could be done. If someone wants to test how units behave on different cover and landscape, it can always be done just by launching a skirmish without AI.

Mission editor in other hand would allow player to place specific units on specific place on official map and give specific orders (like don't move at all or don't fire at all) and then test that mission in skirmish.

With modding tools player could tweak vehicle stats and game rules, create new maps and make new missions, but not to edit the game engine, create new units to game or tweak existing models. Thats why SDK isn't needed as we don't need someone to make total conversions what includes new vehicles, new terrain etc. Just modding tools to tweak existing units, game rules (distances, speed etc physics) and create new maps from existing terrain material.

So in simple:
SDK would allow to make example Wargame: Vietnam total conversion with totally new vehicles and Vietnam units in Vietnam jungle etc.
Modding tools would allow only to tweak existing units statics like armor, speed, ammo amount, accuracy, create new european landscape maps and tweak game rules (what distance ratio is between edge to edge in map, what much moral damage causes, how terrain affects unit types etc).

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”