Simple solution to the zerg rush

rags17
Sergeant

Simple solution to the zerg rush

Postby rags17 » Wed 22 May 2013 06:33

TL;DR - make each player’s deck fully visible before the match starts.

Let me say this at the outset – this is not R.U.S.E. This is a realism based RTS of the Cold War, with a strong emphasis on regimental/brigade level combat. We are not here to trick our opponents but to beat them.

Now that that’s been said here the simple solution – make each player’s deck fully visible before the match starts. This means EVERYTHING – slots filled, skill levels etc. A possible addition might even be the player’s win rate with that deck, recent form overall etc.

IRL strategic info such as the above would be known before either side got into range of each other. The US VII Corps is facing the Soviet 3rd Guards Shock Army ? No problem, we have the latest CIA/NSA intel on what subordinate units it has, what problems they’re suffering from and who is in command of each unit, right down to battalion if necessary. I am sure that Soviets would have had the same level of strategic intel.

In fact, if you think about it, no battle would even begin unless each side knew something about the other and knowing your immediate opponents ORBAT and TO&E would be the most basic of knowledge. Knowing commanders names would be a bonus, once you had that of course you could know his background, recent performance reviews etc.

From a game perspective, knowing what I was facing would mean that it would be much harder (not impossible, just harder) to surprise me. If I saw that the enemy had 28 YAKS in his deck then my solution would be to set up my AA and AAA shield early, use off road movement for the first 2-3 minutes, dismount some MANPADS etc, at least until the zerg danger period ad passed.

Similarly, if I saw a full on tank heavy force in front of me I would start off by buying ATGMs and tank destroyers, set up big meat shields and be ready to race my CV to safety the minute I saw what was coming down the main road.

OTOH, this could also lead to strategic double thinking – I could have a tank heavy deck say and lead with my airborne battalion, or maybe spam my infantry screen while my tank sledgehammer set up behind cover.

Thoughts, comments ?

VladK02
Sergeant Major

Re: Simple solution to the zerg rush

Postby VladK02 » Wed 22 May 2013 06:39

A simple solution to zerg rush is to learn to play.

Bomber rush is easily spotted with radar AA/fighters and you can move off the road, beat it by having fighters in the air.

Ground rushes are easily spotted by recon choppers well in advance.

Tank rush is easily beaten with ATGM helicopters and bombers.

Infantry rush is easily beaten with tanks and arty.

If you getting overwhelmed, move out of the zone, set up a defensive line further back. Game is about points not zones.

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Wed 22 May 2013 06:44

I understand why you want this change, but it's not a good idea.

The game would devolve into people endlessly picking decks that counter one another's.

'I pick an air heavy deck'
'You pick an AA deck'
'I pick a tank heavy deck in response'
'You pick a ATGM focused deck'
'I pick a deck with a lot of artillery, cheaper infantry transports'
'You go heavy tank deck'

And so on, in the pre-game lobby.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

contrail
Sergeant Major

Postby contrail » Wed 22 May 2013 10:16

I suppose you could get around the "constant switching in lobby" problem, by not showing the decks until the game begins. After all, Wargame is built around the concept of a surprise invasion, so you probably wouldn't know what was attacking you until it had already begun.

Raymond Saint
Lieutenant

Postby Raymond Saint » Wed 22 May 2013 10:21

rags17 wrote:TL;DR - make each player’s deck fully visible before the match starts.

No.

Kreved
Warrant Officer

Postby Kreved » Wed 22 May 2013 10:37

Worst idea ever suggested here.

Breadbox
Captain

Postby Breadbox » Wed 22 May 2013 10:38

No just no

Cossack112
Corporal

Postby Cossack112 » Wed 22 May 2013 10:51

rags17 wrote:TL;DR - make each player’s deck fully visible before the match starts.

Nope.avi

victis honor
Corporal

Postby victis honor » Wed 22 May 2013 11:43

Recon recon recon + reverse button. That is all you need tbh.

Prettyhill
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Prettyhill » Wed 22 May 2013 11:47

Zerg is a minor nation on PACT side in ALB? :shock: nerfNAO
"Am i really discussing wargames here with people who have never heard of Fistful of TOWs? I guess that explains why no one has a clue as to what a wargame is then." -Sharky Ward

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”