Why don't group selected units move at the same speed?

sgnl05
Sergeant Major of the Army

Why don't group selected units move at the same speed?

Postby sgnl05 » Thu 8 Mar 2012 08:59

I was reminded of this again today reading the IGN review, where the reviewer specifically complained that he lost an online match because his tanks outran his AA and predictably got trashed by choppers. It's a complaint I can sympathise with. You can of course get around it by starting and stopping your units as they get too far ahead/ behind one another, but that's a lot of micro for something that units should be able to manage on their own.

But the weirdest part about it is that this was a feature that was in the very first beta, way back last November! I remember very clearly hosting an online game by myself to stuff around and see how the game worked, and being impressed that this was something that the developers had considered. I even said as much, and I certainly didn't notice any of the other beta testers complaining about it. But by the second beta it had been removed anyway, with no explanation given.

So could we have it back please? If you're worried about players assuming that a regular move order will make everything go as fast as possible and then getting annoyed when everything moves at the speed of the slowest unit, you could just make it so that it only works when an attack move order is given. That way your whole army will move off in formation, and when attacked will stop to defend itself until the attack is either repulsed or you give them another order. If you want them to just move at their own separate speeds like they do now, a regular right click will do that.

Honestly I find it really strange that the effort was made to develop such a sensible feature in the first place, and then it was dropped for no reason at all (that I can see anyway).
Last edited by sgnl05 on Thu 8 Mar 2012 12:09, edited 1 time in total.

playtime
Master Sergeant

Re: Why don't group selected units move at the same speed?

Postby playtime » Thu 8 Mar 2012 09:11

Already in the suggestions thread ;)

sgnl05

Postby sgnl05 » Thu 8 Mar 2012 09:19

I thought it might be, but I wanted to give it its own thread because it isn't so much a suggestion for a feature that hasn't yet been developed as a request for an already developed feature to be put back in the game!

TrooperCooper
Sergeant

Postby TrooperCooper » Thu 8 Mar 2012 09:46

+1

But when that is (re-)implemented, it should be made sure that it is not an auto-command. Sometimes you just want to grab all those units and run as fast as you can (not going into details for the reasoning here :mrgreen: ). So I dunno, maybe control+right click = move at matched highspeed... and just a right-click = move at individual highspeed.

Sidenote: I wasn't arround for the first beta so I dunno if thats how it worked anyway. ;)

DNAz
Sergeant First-Class

Postby DNAz » Thu 8 Mar 2012 11:18

When does this happen? If it is on road hes a idiot for just running his units on the front line and if its on a open field he is a idiot for moving his units in one order so much that there is a gap.

playtime
Master Sergeant

Postby playtime » Thu 8 Mar 2012 11:21

Why should I have to micromanage keeping my fragile flakpanzers behind my tanks but still keep up with them?

DNAz
Sergeant First-Class

Postby DNAz » Thu 8 Mar 2012 11:53

Is there a situation where you shouldn't be crushed if you can not micro units? Again using roads at the front line you should be smacked and moving long distances off road you should be slapped. Is it hard to move up recon then tanks then AA? If your rushing at the enemy then rush! If you are being careful and going from cover to cover take your time!

sgnl05

Postby sgnl05 » Thu 8 Mar 2012 12:05

DNAz wrote:Is there a situation where you shouldn't be crushed if you can not micro units? Again using roads at the front line you should be smacked and moving long distances off road you should be slapped. Is it hard to move up recon then tanks then AA? If your rushing at the enemy then rush! If you are being careful and going from cover to cover take your time!

It isn't like it's impossible to keep your units together without this feature, it just takes more work and I don't really see how the game is any better for it. You're already punished in this game for not microing in various ways, and that would still be true even if you didn't have to repeatedly start/ stop different unit types to keep them together.

If you want an RTS where good micromanagement is a major determinant of skill there's about a million other quality titles you could be playing. For a lot of players the fact that there isn't much micro in the game is a big part of the appeal. I've seen plenty of people on these forums asking for less micro, but not an awful lot asking for more. If this was in the game there'd just be one less mindless task to worry about, and more room for the important (and fun!) bits.

Sandpit
Master Sergeant

Postby Sandpit » Thu 8 Mar 2012 13:12

RTS games have come a long way since the early days of Dune II. Move together is a mature feature that has been in RTS for a long time. Not having it is a massive backwards step in gaming.

To hear that it was in the game and has been taken out is quite staggering! I would really want to hear the dev's logic on this one. Forcing players into pointless micro tasks will just frustrate players. As a commander I want to tell my troops to go to an area as a force, what commander would ever issue new orders to each of his units every 500m?

Arnie
Sergeant Major

Postby Arnie » Thu 8 Mar 2012 13:34

Probably unintended I suppose? :)

And since we have the move fast command already it should be easy enough for them to make the normal move commands synchronized depending on the slowest vehicle in the group. But keep the fast move as it is, where you stuff just races to the location as quick as possible.

I can see them having an issue when you also have unmounted infantry selected though. Would you want all your stuff to move at walking pace? :)

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”