Please do something about ARTY / ROCKET Spamming

ruselover
Corporal

Please do something about ARTY / ROCKET Spamming

Postby ruselover » Thu 15 Mar 2012 01:26

So post patch decided to play online tonight and see if ARTY spam has been fixed , both games I get on a team where one idiot decided to spam arty. I'm getting cussed at the whole game and called a FAGGOT (not as in the ground troop either) becuase my team spawns ARTY. 9 to be exact at the start of the game and has constant fire on. While we won I played with my head in a paper bag both games.

Guess this goes back on the shelf to the next patch to see if they fix it before even more people leave for good. Can you please enable multiple AI oppenents so I can play by myself !

SupComFan
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Please do something about ARTY / ROCKET Spamming

Postby SupComFan » Thu 15 Mar 2012 01:28

Arty is fine. Teaching noobs that spamming it from your base all game will make your team lose is harder to fix.

ruselover
Corporal

Postby ruselover » Thu 15 Mar 2012 01:30

No it's not fine, it's overpowered and overused and it's driving many players away including me.

SupComFan

Postby SupComFan » Thu 15 Mar 2012 01:42

It’s not OP, and it’s driving away players that are too lazy to learn how to deal with it. that sucks, but the game shouldn’t be balanced by the lowest common denominator.

Kovlovsky
Captain

Postby Kovlovsky » Thu 15 Mar 2012 04:49

I have mixed fealings about arty. Many claim that it's OP, but I often find it relatively weak when I use it myself. It needs a very active scouting to be used well and I'm not too skilled at that. Beside, to be powerful, you have to invest a lot of points to have a decent striking capabilty, particularly with rockets.
Courtesy of Graphic

the_Monk
Sergeant Major

Postby the_Monk » Thu 15 Mar 2012 05:21

Just finished two (3v3) games back to back where arty was used quite a bit (not by me....don't even have it in my deck).

In the first game at one point I lost a good part of one of my forward forces when I momentarily stopped moving them in order to resupply and then forgot about them for a few seconds while I was busy micro-ing another forward force elsewhere.

While it pissed me off, it was totally my fault but all it caused was me to push forward even faster. We won.

In the second game again arty was used. I lost a few units here and there......but oh boy did the micro-ing of my widely spaced units make them pay for it with high-value losses.

In the end, arty was largely inconsequential in both games. Left me with a decidedly 'meh' feeling......we won anyway! :)

OpusTheFowl
General

Postby OpusTheFowl » Thu 15 Mar 2012 05:33

SupComFan wrote:It’s not OP, and it’s driving away players that are too lazy to learn how to deal with it. that sucks, but the game shouldn’t be balanced by the lowest common denominator.

Bingo!

Dobb
Master Sergeant

Postby Dobb » Thu 15 Mar 2012 05:44

You'll see arty spamming a big problem in 3 v 3 onwards where one guy can go "i go artie kk" and spam loads of hardware peppered with BUKs there. I had artillery used on me as a base-rape weapon, it's terrible, but there's no such thing as spawn protection so it's kinda derp there.

On the other hand, I'm "fine" with them using it to stun my assault or take out stubborn units, what I'm not fine is using it in the first minute to disorient our initial strike.

NoneSuch

Postby NoneSuch » Thu 15 Mar 2012 06:40

I've never seen arty effectively used from the spawn on a proper big map. It's understandable that it's effective on Highway, but just don't play that in anything other than 1v1. Arty is pretty innacurate over long range and while it might splatter amongst your units, damaging them, they won't be scoring kills. The real danger is the guys using it closer, to take out squishy command units and to really screw over clusters of units.

I still don't think spamming arty is an effective tactic and I've not seen it win a game for a very long time, since beta, so I don't think that is overpowered. I'm not so sure about rocket arty though, as it seems like the spread is far too predictable and a good player can make very good guesses on where it'll land. It seems like some shots will always hit the middle of the circle, so just put it directly over a unit you want to take out and it'll die.

edit - I don't think any changes are needed beyond making the spread a bit less predictable.

Kin-Luu
Captain

Postby Kin-Luu » Thu 15 Mar 2012 07:37

I feel artillery is fine, at least damage and precision.

What I consider to be worth tweaking is the morale system and the reload times of rocket artillery.
Rocket artillery should not start to reload while firing for example. A Smerch will have reloaded about 18 rockets when its barrage ends.

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”