The Canadian Armed Forces in RD

Looksharp
Sergeant Major

The Canadian Armed Forces in RD

Postby Looksharp » Wed 2 Oct 2013 23:00

As it has now been confirmed that the CAF will take part in the single player scenario, perhaps it is time to discuss what units, and equipment Canada would bring to the table.

First and foremost, what CAF unit would be the first deployed to combat in Asia?

Certainly, the Special Service Force out of Petawawa was the go to unit. 1 CMBG in Edmonton was closer, certainly, however, the SSF was designed for exactly that type of situation.

The SSF comprised of the Airborne Regiment, 2 Combat Engineer Regiment, 2 HQ&SIGS, 2 MP Platoon, 2 Service Battalion, 2 Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, at least one battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment, and the Royal Canadian Dragoons. 427 Squadron offered the tactical helicopter support.

Many of the supporting units also had an airborne capability.

The tanks, and SPGs would have followed on, most likely from 1 CMBG in Edmonton, or units flown in from 4 CMBG Europe.

So let us commence with some new Canadian vehicles.

LOG:

Iltis command vehicle.

By 1991 the Iltis had long replaced the M38 series in the 1/4 tonne vehicle role.

HLVW

Although entering service in 1990, the HLVW quickly became the backbone of the CAF logistics fleet.

INF:

Other then changing out some small arms, most of the units would remain the same. The only addition I would like to see is that of the Canadian Airborne Regiment. Also replacing Vandoos with RCR if you go with the SSF as the lead unit.

The smalls arms loadouts would be the C7 rifle, C9 LMG, and C6 GPMG. The C8 for pathfinders would be good too.

SUP:

The ADATS would no longer be a prototype :mrgreen:

The Bison Mortar carrier would have entered service around this time to supplement the M113 mortar carriers.

Essentially, just the USMC mortar carrier.

Tank:

The Leo C1 would continue to be the mainstay of the Canadian armour force. However, according to Janes Tanks and Artillery 1988-89 Canada made a request for proposal for 250-300 new MBTs with the most likely candidate being the Leo 2A4, or the M1A1 Abrams. This could give the Eugen team a new direction to go on, if they so choose.

There was also the possibility of a Leopard C2 upgrade during this time period as Janes was also mentioning some of the kit that could be updated. I will post the scans at a later date.

Rec:

The Coyote as a LAV-25 based prototype for Canada. Essentially a LAV-25 with a surveillance suite, which would give it exceptional optics. Truly a fantastic system.

Iltis with GPMG.

That is how I started my career in the CAF.

Veh:

Tow under Iltis. The Iltis with the TOW-2

Hel:

No change

Air:

CF-188 was our sole modern fighter. So several variants of this aircraft could fulfill all of the needed roles. The CF-116 remained as a combat capable trainer until 1995, many with upgraded avionics.

Now, there are a few directions Eugen could go with a Canadian ICV.

The TH-495 was selected for service in 1991 as the replacement for the M113 series as the Multi-Role Combat Vehicle. However, it was cancelled in 1993. In 1996 the LAV-III was selected with first deliveries entering service in 1999.

I will reserve the ship section until we have confirmation on ship size and tonnage, I have seen some rumours but nothing more.

Major Duck
Second-Lieutenant

Re: The Canadian Armed Forces in RD

Postby Major Duck » Wed 2 Oct 2013 23:34

Spoiler : :
Looksharp wrote:As it has now been confirmed that the CAF will take part in the single player scenario, perhaps it is time to discuss what units, and equipment Canada would bring to the table.

First and foremost, what CAF unit would be the first deployed to combat in Asia?

Certainly, the Special Service Force out of Petawawa was the go to unit. 1 CMBG in Edmonton was closer, certainly, however, the SSF was designed for exactly that type of situation.

The SSF comprised of the Airborne Regiment, 2 Combat Engineer Regiment, 2 HQ&SIGS, 2 MP Platoon, 2 Service Battalion, 2 Royal Canadian Horse Artillery, at least one battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment, and the Royal Canadian Dragoons. 427 Squadron offered the tactical helicopter support.

The tanks, and SPGs would have followed on, most likely from 1 CMBG in Edmonton, or units flown in from 4 CMBG Europe.

LOG:

Iltis command vehicle.

By 1991 the Iltis had long replaced the M38 series in the 1/4 tonne vehicle role.

HLVW

Although entering service in 1990, the HLVW quickly became the backbone of the CAF logistics fleet.

INF:

Other then changing out some small arms, most of the units would remain the same. The only addition I would like to see is that of the Canadian Airborne Regiment. Also replacing Vandoos with RCR if you go with the SSF as the lead unit.

The smalls arms loadouts would be the C7 rifle, C9 LMG, and C6 GPMG. The C8 for pathfinders would be good too.

SUP:

The Bison Mortar carrier would have entered service around this time to supplement the M113 mortar carriers.

Tank:

The Leo C1 would continue to be the mainstay of the Canadian armour force. However, according to Janes Tanks and Artillery 1988-89 Canada made a request for proposal for 250-300 new MBTs with the most likely candidate being the Leo 2A4, or the M1A1 Abrams. This could give the Eugen team a new direction to go on, if they so choose.

There was also the possibility of a Leopard C2 upgrade during this time period as Janes was also mentioning some of the kit that could be updated. I will post the scans at a later date.

Rec:

The Coyote as a LAV-25 based prototype for Canada. Essentially a LAV-25 with a surveillance suite, which would give it exceptional optics. Truly a fantastic system.

Iltis with GPMG.

Veh:

Hel:

No change

Air:

CF-188 was our sole modern fighter. So several variants of this aircraft could fulfill all of the needed roles. The CF-116 remained as a combat capable trainer until 1995, many with upgraded avionics.

The TH-495 was selected for service in 1991 as the replacement for the M113 series as the Multi-Role Combat Vehicle. However, it was cancelled in 1993. In 1996 the LAV-III was selected with first deliveries entering service in 1999.

I will reserve the ship section until we have confirmation on ship size and tonnage, I have seen some rumours but nothing more.

No dice on the Leo 2A5s , Denmark actually bought used 2A4s in 1997 but since all ex German Leo2s where sold after the wall vent down you wont see it Denmark actually made the decision in 1994 to get 51 new MBTs in the defense procurement period 1995-1999. It was to be a tank up to date with the best for international operations and was all slated for the unit called DIB aka Danish International Brigade it was actually under command of the British 1st Armored Division, so its actually quiet funny that first we dont get it second that we would actually have been under command of the British and would proolly have been deployed with them in Brigade strength. Thats what was the brigades hole mission.
But back to the Leo 2 A5 somebody told me that Mathat had said no to ex German leo 2s. which you would fall under just like Sweden and Denmark and a couple other country's i have tried.
We even tested and trained personel on the M1 but thats just not a good enough tank compared to the Leo2.
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Thu 3 Oct 2013 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoiler added
Image Happy New Year

Looksharp
Sergeant Major

Postby Looksharp » Wed 2 Oct 2013 23:54

Spoiler : :
Major Duck wrote:
Looksharp wrote:As it has now been confirmed that the CAF will take part in the single player scenario, perhaps it is time to discuss what units, and equipment Canada would bring to the table.

LOG:

Iltis command vehicle.

HLVW

INF:

SUP:

Tank:

Rec:

Iltis with GPMG.

Veh:

Hel:

No change

Air:

No dice on the Leo 2A5s , Denmark actually bought used 2A4s in 1997 but since all ex German Leo2s where sold after the wall vent down you wont see it Denmark actually made the decision in 1994 to get 51 new MBTs in the defense procurement period 1995-1999. It was to be a tank up to date with the best for international operations and was all slated for the unit called DIB aka Danish International Brigade it was actually under command of the British 1st Armored Division, so its actually quiet funny that first we dont get it second that we would actually have been under command of the British and would proolly have been deployed with them in Brigade strength. Thats what was the brigades hole mission.
But back to the Leo 2 A5 somebody told me that Mathat had said no to ex German leo 2s. which you would fall under just like Sweden and Denmark and a couple other country's i have tried.
We even tested and trained personel on the M1 but thats just not a good enough tank compared to the Leo2.

But if Janes is to be believed, they were not ex-German tanks, they were to be new built.
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Thu 3 Oct 2013 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spoiler added

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Thu 3 Oct 2013 00:08

Some (most?) are already drafted in our list, we'll consider our ommissions (Iltis? :shock: ).
:D

Looksharp
Sergeant Major

Postby Looksharp » Thu 3 Oct 2013 00:10

[EUG]MadMat wrote:Some (most?) are already drafted in our list, we'll consider our ommissions (Iltis? :shock: ).
:D

Once you see an Iltis with a TOW on it, it is too amazing not to be put in.

another505

Postby another505 » Thu 3 Oct 2013 00:18

chimera :lol:
Of Salt

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Thu 3 Oct 2013 00:28

Well, eveything that was in ALB will still be there in RD ...

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Thu 3 Oct 2013 01:04

Looksharp wrote:Hel:

No change

What about helicopters armed with the CRV-7? I'm not entirely sure when the C17 motor went into production, but I would imagine they had it by 1990.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Looksharp
Sergeant Major

Postby Looksharp » Thu 3 Oct 2013 01:13

Xeno426 wrote:
Looksharp wrote:Hel:

No change

What about helicopters armed with the CRV-7? I'm not entirely sure when the C17 motor went into production, but I would imagine they had it by 1990.

It did, technically it was never used. However, that was quite the oversight on my part.

That actually leads me to another aircraft I was thinking of.

CP-121 were also tested with a 6 CRV-7 pods, a really slow, old, propeller driven maritime patrol plane with rockets might be really fun to troll gun boats with.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Thu 3 Oct 2013 01:31

Looksharp wrote:It did, technically it was never used. However, that was quite the oversight on my part.

"Never used" doesn't stop Wargame. If there were plans or (better yet) it was tested, that's grounds enough to give them that armament. Just look at the Ka-50 and its Kh-25's and Iglas.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”