Infantry not firing automatically

Nexon
Sergeant First-Class

Infantry not firing automatically

Postby Nexon » Sun 20 Oct 2013 19:25

I recently noticed the infantry in buildings doesn't automatically attack enemy units when in range. Why? Is it some kind of fix to help in ambushes? Sometimes my infantry fires only with their rifles on APCs even if they can fire their rockets. If I don't order them to attack, the APCs drop inf on top of my units. It is annoying and increases APM.

Rorschach
Lieutenant General

Re: Infantry not firing automatically

Postby Rorschach » Sun 20 Oct 2013 19:28

It's actually to do with what exact building they're in. Although the zone as a whole might have LOS on a target, the infantry may all be in a specific building that doesn't have LOS- hence the lying blue line :D

Try to get the infantry to another building in the same urban zone, then theyll fire.
A brilliant plan from the dirtiest euro-hippie: get US players to pay me for a game that I then show them how much their military sucks so I can feel better about being a communist.

Nexon
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Nexon » Sun 20 Oct 2013 19:32

Rorschach wrote:It's actually to do with what exact building they're in. Although the zone as a whole might have LOS on a target, the infantry may all be in a specific building that doesn't have LOS- hence the lying blue line :D

Try to get the infantry to another building in the same urban zone, then theyll fire.

So it's working as intended?

It's unnecessary micro, could this be changed?

QuakeRiley
Lieutenant

Postby QuakeRiley » Sun 20 Oct 2013 20:16

Nexon wrote:So it's working as intended?

Is line of sight working as intended? Yes.

It *could* be changed, many things could be changed but is it actually a problem? At best, it is a case for better indication of unit LoS.
"...In their Centurions, the 8th Hussars have evolved a new type of tank warfare. They taught us that anywhere a tank can go, is tank country: even the tops of mountains."

FLX
Lieutenant General

Postby FLX » Sun 20 Oct 2013 20:35

Might be a bug but withour replay... :|
Be nice or I nerf your favorite unit !

Dimonay
Lieutenant

Postby Dimonay » Sun 20 Oct 2013 21:06

Nexon wrote:I recently noticed the infantry in buildings doesn't automatically attack enemy units when in range. Why? Is it some kind of fix to help in ambushes? Sometimes my infantry fires only with their rifles on APCs even if they can fire their rockets. If I don't order them to attack, the APCs drop inf on top of my units. It is annoying and increases APM.

I have seen this happening when the zone have areas without buildings. The infantry think they can be everywhere inside the zone but the can only be where the buildings are and that causes the fake blue line

Nexon
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Nexon » Sun 20 Oct 2013 21:10

QuakeRiley wrote:
Nexon wrote:So it's working as intended?

Is line of sight working as intended? Yes.

It *could* be changed, many things could be changed but is it actually a problem? At best, it is a case for better indication of unit LoS.

I think that it is a problem since it takes a lot of time to make every infantry squad to fire their rpgs, time which should be spent on planning. In the heat of battle you can lose a game because of this.

FLX wrote:Might be a bug but withour replay... :|

If I could, I would have already uploded it. Unfortunetaly I don't have access to the computer on which I have WALB installed. Give me... 3 days ;)

stug41
Second-Lieutenant

Postby stug41 » Sun 20 Oct 2013 22:02

Infantry will move to the correct building in their zone when the enemy is within range of that building. The range displayed is from the edges of the zone, but the true range is from the buildings themselves.

Buck Turgidson
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Buck Turgidson » Mon 21 Oct 2013 07:05

I've noticed the same thing. They don't always fire the RPG even when they're perfectly in range. I can see them firing with their rifles at an infantry squad right at the APC but not the APC itself with RPG. If however I manually order them to attack, then they fire the RPG. They don't actually move when I give the order, it just triggers them to use their RPG.

There's something wonky going on, I'm sure of it.
ImageImage

Morluck
Staff Sergeant

Postby Morluck » Mon 21 Oct 2013 07:25

Buck Turgidson wrote:I've noticed the same thing. They don't always fire the RPG even when they're perfectly in range. I can see them firing with their rifles at an infantry squad right at the APC but not the APC itself with RPG. If however I manually order them to attack, then they fire the RPG. They don't actually move when I give the order, it just triggers them to use their RPG.

There's something wonky going on, I'm sure of it.

Its note the buildings its the AI. Normally if there is an APC and Inf when you attack move you're guys will keep moving unless they have a stat weapon to use like and RPG on that APC. In buildings infantry target the closest unit instead so if that apc is slightly back they won't shoot. From what I've seen ATGM inf prioritize tanks, manpads prioritize air and napalm bum rushes to burn .
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Mon 21 Oct 2013 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”