FOB destroying techiques

Darasuum
Second-Lieutenant

FOB destroying techiques

Postby Darasuum » Fri 29 Nov 2013 07:53

Seeing that a FOB has become a precious commodity, it is more rewarding to destroy them.
I've tried several 'techniques' in a small skirmish with myself :P Now most things will hurt a FOB, but the most effective way of destroying it so far has proven to be 2 bombers with each either 12x250kg bombs or 2x1000kg bombs. (or 3x high end arty pieces if you have the range).

However! On occasions there have been FOB's that have been build with shield generators of the Start Ship Enterprise. Or at least so it seems. They just cannot be destroyed. I can't seem to deduce what should be hit on the fob for it to take damage. I have tried bombing the edges, the middle, diagonally, etc. I have yet to find a single pattern.

Anyone else have had more luck with this?

Bryan
General

Re: FOB destroying techiques

Postby Bryan » Fri 29 Nov 2013 08:35

The glorious Polish Barbecue Napalm works.

Darasuum
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Darasuum » Fri 29 Nov 2013 09:21

Bryan wrote:The glorious Polish Barbecue Napalm works.

I did not think about that :P Drop it on the FOB. FOB can't run away and also at the same time shower the enemy with notifications that one of his units is under attack. Psychological warfare... I like it! :twisted:

Bryan
General

Postby Bryan » Fri 29 Nov 2013 10:13

Darasuum wrote:
Bryan wrote:The glorious Polish Barbecue Napalm works.

I did not think about that :P Drop it on the FOB. FOB can't run away and also at the same time shower the enemy with notifications that one of his units is under attack. Psychological warfare... I like it! :twisted:

I came across it once accidentally, when I captured an enemy FOB(yes, I was owning them :D ) the enemy napalmed the FOB to deny it to me and it just stood there, taking damage and blowing up after a while. :o

Gekko
Corporal

Postby Gekko » Fri 29 Nov 2013 10:20

Recon... spot them, take two nighthawks, fly on the very edge of the map all around their AA. Drop you're payload and you'll be EVACing before the enemy can scramble his interceptors... :evil:

leroy11
First Sergeant

Postby leroy11 » Fri 29 Nov 2013 10:53

Darasuum wrote:However! On occasions there have been FOB's that have been build with shield generators of the Start Ship Enterprise. Or at least so it seems. They just cannot be destroyed. I can't seem to deduce what should be hit on the fob for it to take damage. I have tried bombing the edges, the middle, diagonally, etc. I have yet to find a single pattern.

Anyone else have had more luck with this?

This!!

Atleast i'm not the only one who has found this. I swear there is some sort of random marker 'point' that has to be hit to kill a fob.

Two fobs - one artied 4 times by 2 paladins and barely damaged. Switched to the other fob and it died in one barrage. Same sized circle same guns firing same range.

Darasuum
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Darasuum » Fri 29 Nov 2013 11:45

Also cluster bombs do 0 dmg. I'm not sure if this is intended or not?

As for Napalm, it can damage the FOB. But when using 2 Napalm strikes the damage does not add up so it will only do the damage of one. Therefore raw HE damage has proven to be the most successful.

Kvothe
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Kvothe » Fri 29 Nov 2013 13:24

East German Mig-21MF (those with 64 57mm missiles) can kill a FOB in one run.
Didn't test any other unguided missile jets, but I suppose any similiar payload will work.

Bryan
General

Postby Bryan » Fri 29 Nov 2013 13:27

Kvothe wrote:East German Mig-21MF (those with 64 57mm missiles) can kill a FOB in one run.
Didn't test any other unguided missile jets, but I suppose any similiar payload will work.

2-3 MiG-23BNs with S-24s would also provide similar effects, however, if they do manage ti survive for hat long...

leroy11
First Sergeant

Postby leroy11 » Fri 29 Nov 2013 13:52

Bryan wrote:
Kvothe wrote:East German Mig-21MF (those with 64 57mm missiles) can kill a FOB in one run.

2-3 MiG-23BNs with S-24s would also provide similar effects, however, if they do manage ti survive for hat long...

Did you test it multiple times?

I just did a quick and dirty FOB test on my own FOBs:

Corsair Nape: Little to nothing- like 2 points of damage
HE Ardvark: half health with one strike
2 Paladin: Nothing 3 barrages tried it two times both games nothing
2 Bkans: Dead one barrage next game 4+ barrages and no damage
Canadian Rocket Planes: Half health one barrage run
Intruder: NOTHING - clearly dropped its load righter over the FOB - visually got more bombs on target then the aardvark but did nothing whilst aardvark did half health. Second run same thing!

I am doubly convinced there is some trick to it now!
I can kill a fob one barrage from a Bkan one game and next game its like invulnerable!
Anyone else?

Return to “Wargame : AirLand Battle”