Optics efficiency chart

SzikraTheDragon
Sergeant First-Class

Optics efficiency chart

Postby SzikraTheDragon » Fri 9 May 2014 04:44

Hello guys!

I was checking around for a chart on the effectiveness of different optics against different stealth level units, but the only one I found was in Vasily's otherwise excellent spreadsheet. Since I wanted something more detailed, than the optics chart in his one, I made new measurements for myself and to see it in practice and decided to include it in an excel sheet for use later.

I am planning to do some more testing later and might include the results from those aswell, preferably tests of different covers and the differences between helicopter and land based recon.
All the tests were done in Hop and Glory desert map, with large flat places and forest patches to work with.
p.s.: Many optics levels and values are missing, might get added later.

You can download it here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105792519/Wargame%20-%20Optics%20test%201.2.xlsx

EDIT: -v1.1: 14.05.09
Added "Good" land optics values to deep forest test results.
Added "Very good" and "Excellent" helicopter recon test results.
Minor rounding of values.
Link is up to date.
v-1.2
Added city block measures for land recon
Last edited by SzikraTheDragon on Thu 12 Jun 2014 01:43, edited 4 times in total.

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Re: Optics efficiency chart

Postby Admiral Piett » Fri 9 May 2014 04:49

Good stuff! I have always preferred ground-based recon over helicopters so it will be interesting to see the difference between the two. From my experience, I suspect that ground-recon sees things far better.

shomu1
Major-General

Postby shomu1 » Fri 9 May 2014 04:50

Looking forward to seeing the helicopter edition.

IT IS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Fri 9 May 2014 05:14

hmm so it seems that very good isnt much worse than exceptional on open ground

the only difference is spotting recon infantry or stealth helo
Of Salt

SzikraTheDragon
Sergeant First-Class

Postby SzikraTheDragon » Fri 9 May 2014 05:50

Vasily Krysov wrote:When you are done, may I incorporate this into the big sheet, of course with credit ?

Naturally, you can incorporate it anytime, I am glad to contribute! Also thanks for making that chart collection, very useful, I use it for lots of think tanking! Keep up the good work!

Expect the helicopter testing done during the weekend. From my first observations they seem superior in many conditions by a great margin. I think it was: 4800-4800-3800-3000-2500 meters for poor-medium-good etc. stealth respectively in the same, pure open ground conditions.
EDIT: Done, see results.

SzikraTheDragon
Sergeant First-Class

Postby SzikraTheDragon » Sun 25 May 2014 02:18

Admiral Piett wrote:Good stuff! I have always preferred ground-based recon over helicopters so it will be interesting to see the difference between the two. From my experience, I suspect that ground-recon sees things far better.

I think the reason for so, is that ground recon tends to get closer to enemy lines than helicopters, which are much more taken care of. In my experience helos are better in plain spotting power tough. Will finish the chart sometimes with helo vs. cover and we'll see if there is any difference!

Sev
First Sergeant

Postby Sev » Sun 25 May 2014 02:47

stupid question here, why are there N/A values for very good optics in dense forest? specifically against very good or excellent stealth.

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Sun 25 May 2014 03:02

What does the dense forest part mean?

Are both units in a forest?

Is one? Which?
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

SzikraTheDragon
Sergeant First-Class

Postby SzikraTheDragon » Sun 25 May 2014 20:07

Mako wrote:What does the dense forest part mean?

Are both units in a forest?

Is one? Which?

No, only the units being spotted are in the forest and the forest type is "Dense forest", so probably the best cover/stealth forest and hedges give to them.
The scout vehicles is on open ground, closing in on the forest, displayed results are the distances at which the scout first spotted the different stealth level enemy units.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”