Empire At War

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Re: Empire At War

Postby Admiral Piett » Sat 7 Feb 2015 19:50

fatfluffycat wrote:
Are you talking about galactic conquest? Because on the full 70 planet scenario, the GC map lags so bad... But it does get a lot better as the game goes on.

Yeah, it chugs like a choochoo train. Tactical battles are noticeably slower too. I can usually push through some performance problems, but Republic at War's GC map was giving me headaches. The Empire at War's game engine has never been the best optimized unfortunately, regardless of what hardware you run it on.

MenDuck
Major

Postby MenDuck » Sun 8 Feb 2015 15:54

Admiral Piett wrote:
fatfluffycat wrote:
Are you talking about galactic conquest? Because on the full 70 planet scenario, the GC map lags so bad... But it does get a lot better as the game goes on.

Yeah, it chugs like a choochoo train. Tactical battles are noticeably slower too. I can usually push through some performance problems, but Republic at War's GC map was giving me headaches. The Empire at War's game engine has never been the best optimized unfortunately, regardless of what hardware you run it on.

Strange. When I'm playing RaW, it doesn't lag at all. That's maybe because I've it on XP :D

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Mon 9 Feb 2015 01:05

Could be some kind of OS thing. Hardware-wise my computer should bend Empire at War over a rail. Could be my CPU slowing down due to all the AI calculations in mid-late game GC. Not that my CPU is bad though...Gen I i7-870.

MenDuck
Major

Postby MenDuck » Mon 9 Feb 2015 01:13

Admiral Piett wrote:Could be some kind of OS thing. Hardware-wise my computer should bend Empire at War over a rail. Could be my CPU slowing down due to all the AI calculations in mid-late game GC. Not that my CPU is bad though...Gen I i7-870.

It's definetly OS then. I have the i7 too and playing RaW don't cause me any problems. Well, except a broken keyboard :lol: .

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Fri 13 Feb 2015 04:53

In my opinion, Thrawn's Revenge was better than Republic at War, since with 2 factions, it got a bit repetitive. Plus, Acclamators died way to easily, and Imperial II's were so fun to spam. But for some reason, both my and my friend's computer get all glitchy when dealing with super-ships (Pride of the Core, Malevolence, Executor... ).

My friend was really good at both games, holding out huge assaults with a Level 3 Station and a handful of cruisers. I on the other hand won by modding Venators to have x1000 shield, 12 squadrons of ARC-170's, and having a price of 1 point.

fatfluffycat
Major

Postby fatfluffycat » Fri 13 Feb 2015 05:06

The W:AB Noob wrote:In my opinion, Thrawn's Revenge was better than Republic at War, since with 2 factions, it got a bit repetitive. Plus, Acclamators died way to easily, and Imperial II's were so fun to spam. But for some reason, both my and my friend's computer get all glitchy when dealing with super-ships (Pride of the Core, Malevolence, Executor... ).

My friend was really good at both games, holding out huge assaults with a Level 3 Station and a handful of cruisers. I on the other hand won by modding Venators to have x1000 shield, 12 squadrons of ARC-170's, and having a price of 1 point.

I remember being attacked by 16 Venators plus some other random stuff over Geonosis as the CIS.

I only had 2 battleships and a whole lot of Munifunt frigates with a T5 station.

It was glorious seeing the Republic get totally #rekted over the CIS home planet :lol:
How is possible? / Thread of the Year 2015

JBravo
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBravo » Fri 13 Feb 2015 05:22

I played EaW a lot back in the day. I can't really get into it anymore, I tried... Something about the space battles that annoyed me a lot is the size of the ships. I wish they would be scaled down to 1/4th the size or smaller so you don't have to zoom all the way out to see more than one destroyer. But yeah it was great - loved Boba Fett.

Also, I'll mention it since nobody else has - Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion has a couple awesome Star Wars mods - Interregnum is my favorite, but there's also Ascendancy (same team as Thrawns Revenge), and Sins of a Galactic Empire. Much better space combat than EaW in my opinion.

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Mon 23 Feb 2015 05:40

So, I got back into Republic at War and I'm having a blast. I'm playing CIS on easy just to get my barrings, and the AI is putting up a surprisingly large amount of resistance. It ain't no vanilla AI.

Any tips for CIS fleet composition? I'm fighting waves of ISDs, Victories and Venators. I'm holding out, but it is only a matter of time before one of my border worlds goes down. I'm not really sure what the most cost effective CIS capitals are. Also, should I be going for bomber/fighter hordes (lots of carriers) or more direct combat ships? My gut says the former as ISDs ROFL-stomp anything in conventional ship-to-ship fights.

Holy_crap
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Holy_crap » Mon 23 Feb 2015 06:03

Providence, Bulwark, Lukrehulk or how ever it's spelled .
Leader of the glorious Putsie Federation. Saucer 1st Class.
Steam - Tactical Tile Placement

nWODT_Niack
Captain

Postby nWODT_Niack » Mon 23 Feb 2015 13:48

EaW was absolutely great (even if i almost exclusively played space combat).

Only thing i would wish for is to somebody make a strategic space combat game that is not limited to the 2D plane. How stupid is that !?
Croche et Tient

Return to “Off-Topic”