Community event - Operation Jutland!

Buck Turgidson
Second-Lieutenant

Community event - Operation Jutland!

Postby Buck Turgidson » Fri 30 Jan 2015 19:06

I've had this kind of fun game in my mind for a long time now, would be great if we could gather a relaxed and balanced group of people to play out this scenario :)

So let me introduce you to...

Operation Jutland

1985 - The war scare runs high in the Soviet Union. In 1983 the NATO exercises Autumn Forge and Able Archer put the Soviet command on the edge of their seats. Furthermore Reagan announcing the new Strategic Defense Initiative was threatening to destabilize MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) and the Soviet High Command felt they were losing their grip on the situation. Plans had been made to stop NATO from getting the upper hand - first strike was the key and while using tactical nukes was certainly an option, Moscow decided not to resort to the option unless absolutely necessary, as using nukes would open the pandora's box.

August 1986 - NATO starts the exercise Northern Wedding in the North Atlantic. Led by USS Nimitz and HMS Ark Royal accompanied by a task force of frigates and destroyers the task force makes a sizeable amphibious landing in Norway. At the same time fresh British forces landed in Denmark to rotate a British infantry brigade in NORTHAG out.

The Soviet High Commands decides now is the time to act. With NATO conducting exercises Warsaw PACT is already on full alert. NATO Command doesn't see anything special in it and considers the PACT troop movements as a natural response to the NATO exercise. Unfortunately this is not the case.

Early morning, before the dawn on the 25th of August, Soviet Tu-22s take off from the Kola peninsula. Their targets, the Nimitz and the Ark Royal are not prepared...

The morning of 25th of August - Operation Jutland begins!

Briefing

In their infinite wisdom the Soviet High Command have decided that this is the moment to neutralize the NATO threat once and for all. The forces in Fulda gap have already started their attack. Soviet and East German forces in the gap, Czechoslovakians in the South, Bulgarians in the South with Soviet support - all fronts are pushing the NATO forces back. In the North Operation Jutland is about to begin: Polish Airborne forces with the support of Polish and Soviet Marines are about to engage the Danish and British forces in Sjaelland, just south of Copenhagen. The Soviet plan is to surround Copenhagen and cut off the island from the mainland while the Soviet and East German forces sweep in to Jutland.

The PACT forces must take and hold territory (aka conquest) in order for the first phase of the operation to succeed and for more reinforcements to arrive to secure the beach head and to surround the capital.

NATO forces have to hold out and not let the PACT forces to get a firm foothold. Time must be bought to deploy the NATO reserves.

The attacking force consists of:

1x Polish Airborne player - Solo
1x Soviet Airborne player - duro909
1x Polish Marine player - raventhefuhrer
1x Soviet Marine player - another505

The defending force consists of:

2x Danish Mechanized players - Buck Turgidson, BeyondNight
1x Danish Support player - Fade2Gray
1x British Motorized player - CK530

The game settings are as follows:

Era setting: 1985 Note!! 1985 decks!
Map: Paddy Field
Mode: Conquest
Conquest points: 750
Time limit: 60 min
Income rate: medium

Ok, so as you can see this isn't the battle of the Titans. You've got 1985 decks, Denmark with some UK help duking it out with Poland with some Soviet help. The PACT has the mobility, some scary choppers and shock/elite infantry. Mechanized and support Denmark has nothing spectacular, the motorized UK isn't worth much either but has some much needed AA power. Should be interesting to see how these decks play out :)

Why Paddy Field? Because it's somewhat balanced, isn't too big and offers a good variety of terrain.

So, who's in?

The planned date of the event: Saturday, February 7th. Time: 19:00 UTC (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone/utc)
Give your name and side/deck preference. We'll also need some reserve players in case some people can't show up.

If this event is fun and goes well I might consider organizing a follow-up or two, the scenario depending on which side wins.
Last edited by Buck Turgidson on Sat 31 Jan 2015 01:10, edited 9 times in total.
ImageImage

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Community event - Operation Jutland!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Fri 30 Jan 2015 19:09

Buck Turgidson wrote:Image

I know those maps ... I used them for ALB! :D

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Fri 30 Jan 2015 19:11

Should people just make decks as they wish from specs listed here, or will someone post as historic as possible decks to import for us to use?

Sounds interesting, especially since its conquest. I'm up assuming I'm free that day.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Buck Turgidson
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Buck Turgidson » Fri 30 Jan 2015 19:11

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
Buck Turgidson wrote:Image

Cool! :)
ImageImage

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Fri 30 Jan 2015 19:12

USSR marine '85 for me

always want to play them... but they are sooo bad in multi lol
Of Salt

Buck Turgidson
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Buck Turgidson » Fri 30 Jan 2015 19:12

Fade2Gray wrote:Should people just make decks as they wish from specs listed here, or will someone post as historic as possible decks to import for us to use?

Sounds interesting, especially since its conquest. I'm up assuming I'm free that day.

I think people should have the liberty of setting up their decks as they please. The national + 1985 restriction is probably quite enough already.
ImageImage

MenDuck
Major

Postby MenDuck » Fri 30 Jan 2015 19:14

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
Buck Turgidson wrote:
Spoiler : :

Figures. When I saw it, I knew there was some resemblance between this and ALB's campaigns.

EDIT: What just happened with the page?

Buck Turgidson
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Buck Turgidson » Fri 30 Jan 2015 19:21

Added the time for the event, aiming for around 19:00 or 20:00 UTC.
ImageImage

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Fri 30 Jan 2015 19:23

Buck Turgidson wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:Should people just make decks as they wish from specs listed here, or will someone post as historic as possible decks to import for us to use?

I think people should have the liberty of setting up their decks as they please. The national + 1985 restriction is probably quite enough already.

Fair enough, and yeah, there isn't much you can take for Polish Marines (which I made a deck for).

Tempted to volunteer for Danish support, because it has a surprising little bonus to bring to the field, and I'm not talking about the support selection.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Buck Turgidson
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Buck Turgidson » Fri 30 Jan 2015 19:38

I'm kinda still reconsidering the PACT lineup, perhaps having 2x Soviet Marines would be more balanced? The Polish Marines don't have that much of equipment to work with.
ImageImage

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”