The Worst Neglected, Undermodelled Units

kvnrthr
Chief Warrant Officer

The Worst Neglected, Undermodelled Units

Postby kvnrthr » Mon 13 Apr 2015 06:36

In my opinion, a vast majority of the units in this game are simply never used at all. A decent amount of these are Korean War relics that wouldn't have a chance in the game anyway, but an equal amount are units that could realistically excel but are gimped by unfair stat modelling (compared to other units) or poor loadout for aircraft.

What is unfortunate is that a lot of these poor units are iconic Cold War weapons, that never see the light of the day in this game. A lot of these are simply victims of double-standard modelling, where a unit with similar stats in real life has far better stats in the game.

This is just my opinion, it is a subjective list. At this point I don't think Eugen will re-role but I might as well write my thoughts down...

1. F-4 Phantom Series

Spoiler : :
IRL:
The backbone of numerous western air forces until the arrival of the F-15 and F-16, it excelled in the roles of air superiority and ground attack. In the hands of American, Israeli, and Iranian aviators, it proved itself in some of the most intense fighting in the cold war.

In Wargame:
Sure, the American F-4 makes an impressive blanket of napalm and the German F-4F KWS is a decent AMRAAM carrier. The Wild Weasel is OK. But the rest of the F-4s in game carry old Mavericks, shitty sparrows and mediocre bombs and cost far too much. To add insult to injury, the UK does not get a single F-4 phantom despite the fact that they used hundreds of them, even upgrading them to carry the SkyFlash.

2. M60 series

Spoiler : :
IRL: An iconic tank of the Cold War, the backbone of American tank forces until the arrival of the Abrams. It delivered great results in Israeli service and held its own in Iranian service. The TTS upgrade gave it great thermal optics, and the A3 variant already had laser rangefinders and ballistic computers. The M833 round for its 105mm gun had only very slightly less penetration than the German DM-63, which came much later. Probably slightly inferior to the German Leopard 1A5.

In Wargame:
It's a Leopard, but worse. Much worse. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The M60A1 ERA on paper looks to be a fair match for the Leopard 1A5, but the loss of that 175 m range, really, really hurts. Now that NORAD is a coalition, the last nail in the M60's coffin has been hammered in. The disadvantage is small but the result is that this tank is HARDLY EVER TAKEN.

I'll post more later if I can write anymore, but I'd like to see your opinions as well. What units/unit lines could have shined in game, but are simply undermodelled into uselessness?
Hoping for a better next-gen Wargame and new engine in a few years...
One can dream ;_;

Solo
Brigadier

Re: The Worst Neglected, Undermodelled Units

Postby Solo » Mon 13 Apr 2015 06:56

USAF as a whole.

Specific units? A-10 and F-16. These have been two of the most sortied aircraft in recent USAF history yet both are uninspiring. A-10 should have a modern variant with the best missiles and ECM available, and the F-16s are notoriously lightly loaded and lacking both MRAAMS and competitive ECM.

As a result, US gets jets that have a single purpose, that often do that single purpose worse than a Soviet Multirole!

QUAD
Colonel

Postby QUAD » Mon 13 Apr 2015 07:11

Which superpower had the dominant Air Force during the Cold War?

That's what I thought.
BUFF USA

codextero
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby codextero » Mon 13 Apr 2015 07:50

QUAD wrote:Which superpower had the dominant Air Force during the Cold War?

That's what I thought.

Armee de l'air of course.

Soviet pilots were instructed not to engage Rafales unless they had a 3 to 1 numerical advantage.

Miskyavine
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Miskyavine » Mon 13 Apr 2015 08:14

codextero wrote:

That's what I thought.

Soviet pilots were instructed not to engage Rafales unless they had a 3 to 1 numerical advantage.

I dont thinks thats 100% accurate considering the Rafale was still in its infancy when the Soviet Union fell.

M1A1HA 1989 tank with 1984 ammo should have the also 1989 M829A1 that the M1A1HC has
M2A2/M3A2 1987 IFV with 1982 missle Should be TOW-2A -1986 missle yet not even ingame
M2A1/M3A1 I-TOW lol should have the TOW-2 Could not even fire the I-Tow

Riflemen 90 should be renamed riflemen 58 if there stu with the M60 POS thats ingame the M249/MINIMI would be nice also renaming them 85 as the AT4 and M249 were in service by 1985 Even the Diggers have the MINIMI a country that adopted it 7 years after the United states.

F/A 18-E stuck in naval tab with a loadout already covered by the Canadian Hornet git it its ASF and stap it in the Air tab

For starters i could go on and on all day.

Soviet Avalibility but i guess that goes with its completly over modeled capabilites so...
How i feel when reading the OFF TOPIC section of the forums http://imgur.com/gallery/t9IXqDs

Tiera
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tiera » Mon 13 Apr 2015 08:26

Miskyavine wrote:Soviet Avalibility but i guess that goes with its completly over modeled capabilites so...

Everyone knows that WP was all about quality of a small bunch of elite units against the quantity of Nato mass armies.

Bougnas
Major-General

Postby Bougnas » Mon 13 Apr 2015 08:30

codextero wrote:

That's what I thought.

Muhhh Mirage 2000 is better han everything else, fear the powaa of delta wings!! :twisted:

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Mon 13 Apr 2015 08:31

Tiera wrote:
Miskyavine wrote:Soviet Avalibility but i guess that goes with its completly over modeled capabilites so...

Everyone knows that WP was all about quality of a small bunch of elite units against the quantity of Nato mass armies.

Don't forget US had a very small force projection compared to France and Germany. After all the large French military was known for its large projection after WW2, unlike the Americans...

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Mon 13 Apr 2015 08:52

Jaguar gr1 it should have 4 bl755 cluster bombs

Jaguar gr1a
Martel missiles are underperforming by a very large margin
(I would prefer a 1991 desert storm load of 2 aim9l and 2 pods of crv7 armour piercing)

Chieftain tanks all are meh when these tanks entered service they were the most powerful in the world they should not be completely out classed by the leopard

stratmania
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby stratmania » Mon 13 Apr 2015 09:07

Chonma ho IV having 40% accuracy...
Chieftain and M60 tanks sucking.....
Stuff like this encourage leopard 1 spam.