1K17 Szhatie

Nokhal
Staff Sergeant

1K17 Szhatie

Postby Nokhal » Thu 26 Apr 2012 15:32

Ok guys, i'm gonna make some of you wet their pants :

This thing is apparently a laser russian prototype tank developped in the late 70's.

On the wikipedia page of the tank, we learn that it's a laser projector mounted on a T80 hull.

However, I quote :

The tank used an intense laser beam to attack vehicles. This was created by focusing light through thirty kilogram artificial rubies (which made the whole system very expensive to produce). The optics that produced the laser were placed at the end of a silver coated spiral, which helped amplify the beam and increase convergence. The energy to power the laser was provided by a generator and an auxiliary battery system. The lenses themselves were able to operate in different environments by moving metal caps closer to protect the lens.

Okay guys.
Until this, the only real laser weapon i've ever heard of is the nothrop grumann one. it's an anti missile weapon, aiming to only perforate a small hole in the hull/daze the sensor, disorienting it, and why not heat it enough to detonante the fuel/explosive.
And even know, one of the main issue is the power need of the laser (>100kw), which is why it's used only on ships.

Now...

A laser mounted on a tank (ok...) with the objective to dig a hole in tank's armour ? Seems higly doubtfull to me.
120mm of steel instead of 1 of Aluminium...

The japanese version of wikipedia isn't helping either.

So, someone have more docs on this thing ? Only one i found are in russian/other language i don't know.

D-M

Re: 1K17 Szhatie

Postby D-M » Thu 26 Apr 2012 15:42

Wasn't it mean to destroy helicopters optics from 8 or so kilometers ?

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Thu 26 Apr 2012 15:52

D-M wrote:Wasn't it mean to destroy helicopters optics from 8 or so kilometers ?

Yes, that's what I knew about it too ... not to dig holes in tanks.

EDIT: Didn't they developed the same kind of "blinding laser" for ships too?

Romiros
That was soooo easy

Postby Romiros » Thu 26 Apr 2012 16:50

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
D-M wrote:Wasn't it mean to destroy helicopters optics from 8 or so kilometers ?

Yes, that's what I knew about it too ... not to dig holes in tanks.

EDIT: Didn't they developed the same kind of "blinding laser" for ships too?

Yes we did.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=96

Nokhal
Staff Sergeant

Postby Nokhal » Thu 26 Apr 2012 16:55

Okay, just an optic burner then. Someone with actual knowledge on it should correct wiki.

Oliver
Colonel

Postby Oliver » Thu 26 Apr 2012 16:56

Soviet engineers obviously watched to much Star Wars.

(on a side note, is there any official data about how many generals in the USSR needed serious antidepressants after watching "The Return of the Jedis"?)

Romiros
That was soooo easy

Postby Romiros » Thu 26 Apr 2012 19:21

Oliver wrote:Soviet engineers obviously watched to much Star Wars.

(on a side note, is there any official data about how many generals in the USSR needed serious antidepressants after watching "The Return of the Jedis"?)

In fact, work with military laser technology started in 60th. Explosive punpmed lasers was too expensive and unreliable compare classic anti-rocket systems, so work moved to gas lasers against more vulnerable targets - enemy optic systems, satellites etc. In 1972 we started build this complex
http://g.co/maps/v3rse
In 1981-1982 we had this beauties
Humor of the situation is that Reagan in 1983 declared SOI program. He knew that it was bluff, but Soviet laser technology turned his fantasy to reality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyus_(spacecraft)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0oiq051jsU
Prototype of battle space station.
By the way. Laser Boing program was closed in last year. Our A-60 flying since 80th and only high command knows what our laser-plane can do.
Now you can buy your own battle laser
Image Image
It's civilian model of AA laser, Gazprom use it for cutting gas pipelines

Tac Error
Captain

Postby Tac Error » Thu 26 Apr 2012 19:43

IIRC from the words of a contributor on an unrelated site, the lasers were used to protect Soviet units against precision-guided munitions by crazing the optics of enemy target acquisition equipment, and frying the eyes of their operators. So that could mean optical equipment used by field artillery observer teams, and tank optics or the sensors on Apache helicopters. They were assigned down to regimental level in platoons.

Red Thrust Star ran an article on lasers, might be worth reading:

http://nara-wayback-001.us.archive.org/ ... ML#COUNTER
SLONIK MARSHAL

"Large mechanized forces always defeat small mechanized forces." - M. N. Tukhachevsky

saber2243
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby saber2243 » Fri 27 Apr 2012 22:26

There is a game for xbox called toy soldiers : cold war and it has this tank in it
It mauls everything in like 2 sec
Peace through Superior Firepower

Toot
Warrant Officer

Postby Toot » Sun 29 Apr 2012 13:02

Prism tanks.