Map Patch / Linux

pyrr
Corporal
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu 22 May 2014 14:12
Contact:

Map Patch / Linux

Postby pyrr » Thu 15 Oct 2015 16:07

Dear Eugen,

Any news on when the Linux version of the patch will be out?
From a technical point of view, why don't you release the patch for all systems at the same time?

Thx.

User avatar
nrader
Chief Warrant Officer
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue 8 Jul 2014 14:27
Location: Donbass.
Contact:

Re: Map Patch / Linux

Postby nrader » Thu 15 Oct 2015 16:25

Yeah i hope it will be soon. Rebooting to windows every time i want to play WG is boring.
Image

minfaer
Corporal
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue 3 Feb 2015 01:12
Contact:

Re: Map Patch / Linux

Postby minfaer » Thu 15 Oct 2015 18:09

I'd also be interested in the technical reason for the delay... Maybe this has something to do with the maps being complete 3D-models, and therefore being stored differently by the DirectX-based win version, but thats a wild guess. :?: I do not know how the maps exactly work.

But if a windows-player could try out using open-gl in win, maybe he could prove me wrong...

Edit: having a short look at things, it seems like some components of the maps are hardcoded, and therefore need to be compiled for each version, causing the necessity of changes in the code.
In Soviet Russia, everything has a Vympel!

pyrr
Corporal
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu 22 May 2014 14:12
Contact:

Re: Map Patch / Linux

Postby pyrr » Fri 16 Oct 2015 09:54

Ah, that is indeed a good explanation! The "hardcoding" could also be the reason why it is so time consuming to create new maps. There might be even more differences under the hood.
I guess the biggest issue is OpenGL vs. DirectX. Effectively, the game runs slower on OpenGL (Linux) than on DirectX (Windows), I can play on very high settings on Windows but have to turn everything down to high on Linux to have acceptable framerates.

minfaer
Corporal
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue 3 Feb 2015 01:12
Contact:

Re: Map Patch / Linux

Postby minfaer » Fri 16 Oct 2015 15:48

I have only realized a difference in 10v10 games when it gets crowded, but there i even have been kicked from a server twice.
Suggests a new trolling for 10v10: Ask your team whether someone of them is on OGL, if not start spamming mass units in the hope an enemy player gets kicked :twisted:

I haven't used windows in a long time though...

OT: (but i dont wanna start a new thread now)
Recently, my graphics card entered the eternal hunting grounds. As a replacement, Tonga/Antigua looks nice. So far I've played on a gtx560ti, and since amd catalyst driver is not that known for excellent opengl-support, do you guys have experience with wargame performance amd vs. nivdia on linux?

Edit: Typo, it was a 560, not a 660.
Last edited by minfaer on Fri 16 Oct 2015 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
In Soviet Russia, everything has a Vympel!

pyrr
Corporal
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu 22 May 2014 14:12
Contact:

Re: Map Patch / Linux

Postby pyrr » Fri 16 Oct 2015 20:36

I have a GTX 960, it works fine on Linux (kernel 4.1) with recent proprietary nvidia drivers. The GTX 970 has better bang for your bucks, but afaik it needs power from two 6-pin cables, whereas the GTX 960 only needs one.
Wargame runs well, too, it should be a lot faster than your 660. However, it doesn't run as well as on Windows 7 on the same computer. I can play on high settings, 4x AA, 1920x1200 resolution up to 3vs3 games with lots of units. I'm perfectly happy with the 960. All my games on Steam/Linux work without a problem.
Can't comment on AMD/ATI cards, never used one in the last 10 years.

Kiborg
Corporal
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu 8 Nov 2012 21:55
Contact:

Re: Map Patch / Linux

Postby Kiborg » Mon 19 Oct 2015 14:22

minfaer wrote:I have only realized a difference in 10v10 games when it gets crowded, but there i even have been kicked from a server twice.
Suggests a new trolling for 10v10: Ask your team whether someone of them is on OGL, if not start spamming mass units in the hope an enemy player gets kicked :twisted:

I haven't used windows in a long time though...

OT: (but i dont wanna start a new thread now)
Recently, my graphics card entered the eternal hunting grounds. As a replacement, Tonga/Antigua looks nice. So far I've played on a gtx560ti, and since amd catalyst driver is not that known for excellent opengl-support, do you guys have experience with wargame performance amd vs. nivdia on linux?

Edit: Typo, it was a 560, not a 660.


First I need to put a disclaimer, the last time I used ATI graphics card was with HD7950, so your mileage my wary. But at the time the Linux drivers for ATI were a mess. While easy to install they would make the system really slow and gaming problematic, there was even a time when my desktop was lagging. The fact that I got better results with integrated Intel graphics card should be telling. The only problem I had with Nvidia was manual driver installation, last time I tried that was nine months ago and it was a pain. But currently Ubuntu has the current enough version under additional drivers so I just use that and have no problems. Just pick the -updates version and not the vanilla version and you should be OK.

philmd
Private
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon 12 Oct 2015 14:09
Contact:

Re: Map Patch / Linux

Postby philmd » Mon 19 Oct 2015 14:58

Kiborg wrote:
minfaer wrote:I have only realized a difference in 10v10 games when it gets crowded, but there i even have been kicked from a server twice.
Suggests a new trolling for 10v10: Ask your team whether someone of them is on OGL, if not start spamming mass units in the hope an enemy player gets kicked :twisted:

I haven't used windows in a long time though...

OT: (but i dont wanna start a new thread now)
Recently, my graphics card entered the eternal hunting grounds. As a replacement, Tonga/Antigua looks nice. So far I've played on a gtx560ti, and since amd catalyst driver is not that known for excellent opengl-support, do you guys have experience with wargame performance amd vs. nivdia on linux?

Edit: Typo, it was a 560, not a 660.


First I need to put a disclaimer, the last time I used ATI graphics card was with HD7950, so your mileage my wary. But at the time the Linux drivers for ATI were a mess. While easy to install they would make the system really slow and gaming problematic, there was even a time when my desktop was lagging. The fact that I got better results with integrated Intel graphics card should be telling. The only problem I had with Nvidia was manual driver installation, last time I tried that was nine months ago and it was a pain. But currently Ubuntu has the current enough version under additional drivers so I just use that and have no problems. Just pick the -updates version and not the vanilla version and you should be OK.



my 6950 still works fine (with the open source drivers), even in 10vs10 (I did have some problems in ALB though).

Kiborg
Corporal
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu 8 Nov 2012 21:55
Contact:

Re: Map Patch / Linux

Postby Kiborg » Mon 19 Oct 2015 16:11

philmd wrote:
Kiborg wrote:
minfaer wrote:I have only realized a difference in 10v10 games when it gets crowded, but there i even have been kicked from a server twice.
Suggests a new trolling for 10v10: Ask your team whether someone of them is on OGL, if not start spamming mass units in the hope an enemy player gets kicked :twisted:

I haven't used windows in a long time though...

OT: (but i dont wanna start a new thread now)
Recently, my graphics card entered the eternal hunting grounds. As a replacement, Tonga/Antigua looks nice. So far I've played on a gtx560ti, and since amd catalyst driver is not that known for excellent opengl-support, do you guys have experience with wargame performance amd vs. nivdia on linux?

Edit: Typo, it was a 560, not a 660.


First I need to put a disclaimer, the last time I used ATI graphics card was with HD7950, so your mileage my wary. But at the time the Linux drivers for ATI were a mess. While easy to install they would make the system really slow and gaming problematic, there was even a time when my desktop was lagging. The fact that I got better results with integrated Intel graphics card should be telling. The only problem I had with Nvidia was manual driver installation, last time I tried that was nine months ago and it was a pain. But currently Ubuntu has the current enough version under additional drivers so I just use that and have no problems. Just pick the -updates version and not the vanilla version and you should be OK.



my 6950 still works fine (with the open source drivers), even in 10vs10 (I did have some problems in ALB though).


I might need to clarify, my statement was for the official drivers not the open source version.

flightwusel
Corporal
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun 11 May 2014 17:50
Contact:

Re: Map Patch / Linux

Postby flightwusel » Mon 19 Oct 2015 21:05

pyrr wrote:Dear Eugen,

Any news on when the Linux version of the patch will be out?

Thx.

Anything from Eugen regarding this topic???
DLC #2: UI usability improvements in the game menus.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests