DeckCheney
Colonel

Re: Request to replace all S-5 Rockets

Postby DeckCheney » Sun 19 Jun 2016 12:06

Vulcan 607 wrote:57mm vs 70mm rockets cause there is a HE difference

S-5M has a warhead of weight of 0.815kg

FFAR Mk 4 has a warhead weight of 2.7kg

Well... derp.

Can we just abstract 2HE anyway- in the same manner how various AAMs/SAMs have varying HE values contrary to their IRL warhead sizes/effectiveness?

2HE is needed for rockets to do sufficent damage to light armor; 1HE just tickles.

Otherwise; after reading through the S-5 assessment; I'd like to keep the system in game; least employed in with some absurd prototype Tanks/FSVs/IFVs.
The USA is #1 exporter of freedom!
All other countries have inferior freedom!

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Sun 19 Jun 2016 15:22

The Ukrainians mounted S-8's on a Strela-10M in place of the actual Strela missiles. That'd be pretty zany.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Sun 19 Jun 2016 21:39

DeckCheney wrote:
Sweedish_Gunner wrote:Source that any Soviet allied state had fully transitioned over to using the S-8 over the S-5?

Ehhh no parabla Ruskie... this is going to be a major ass pain to research since my position is formed from 2nd hand information. I'll see what I can't dig up.

Don't know how much it was adopted, but the Poles did develop their own 10-round launch pod for helicopters, the B-8-10, so they transitioned enough for that development to make sense. They used them on their Su-20, Su-22 and MiG-29 aircraft. Don't know about helicopters, though.

The GDR had the B-8V20 and used them on their Hinds. Don't know about aircraft.

The CSLA made use of the B-8V20 and B-8M1 pods, so they were used both on fixed-wing and helicopters.

Don't know dates on when they were adopted, unfortunately.

China never used the S-8 (and the Mi-4 never used them either). China relied upon its own indigenous 90mm and 130mm rockets, but the Type 130 only seems to be used on fixed-wing aircraft. They made use of the Type 57, which was a copy of the S-5, on both fixed-wing and helicopter platforms.
The Type 90 came in several forms and warheads, but was only launched from HF-9 9-round tubes. The Type 57 only had basic HE warheads.

No idea about the DPRK, but seeing as they lacked decent platforms for the S-8 in the first place, I doubt they used them. Their only options would be the MiG-23ML and MiG-29, and they would never commit those aircraft to ground attack. Since the Hind was never a helicopter they actually operated, it seems even less likely they would have anything bigger than the S-5. They might have the S-3K rocket for their Su-7s, though.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Mon 20 Jun 2016 10:19

DeckCheney wrote:The S-5 is terrible.

The S-5 makes all the helos it's mounted to underperforming/terrible -The Bulk of the RedFor HeloTab. While some nations have alternatives that don't directly make them dependant upon S-5 platforms for Heliborne operations (Mi-17s/Ka-29), Red Dragon and DDR Airborne are primarily hurt due to regular Mi-8T transports armed with S-5s beings their only deployment options.

The easiest solution is to REMOVE the S-5 from game- rocket planes included; and replace it with the more reliable S-8 that can actually damage targets.

Replace S-5s with S-8s.

This idea is terrible not the S-5.

In fact redfor airborne deck is powerful because transport helos are useable even with S-5 while most of bleufor helo does not have rockets just 875/1050 m range shit MGs with 0 firepower. I never be able to understand why can have inf. mounted MG 40-70% base ACC with 700-1000 m range while APC or helo based MG has 10-15% base ACC...

Even with S-8 you can kill AD units while your 25 CP bluefor helos after you have unload your toops are only garbage. Redfor can have armored helo with MG and rocket with 1/2 AV with 8HP while totally unarmored bluefor helos for 15-25 CP has only MG. I have to laugh on this request.

So not S-5 should be removed or swapped but instead UH-1 should carry rockets.

DeckCheney
Colonel

Postby DeckCheney » Mon 20 Jun 2016 19:16

molnibalage wrote:BLAH BLAH BLAH

See my countless other requests to improve BlueFor Helos.

S-5 is terrible and needs to be remove from the platforms which deserve upgrades and or given better stats.
The USA is #1 exporter of freedom!
All other countries have inferior freedom!

Bougnas
Major-General

Postby Bougnas » Mon 20 Jun 2016 19:29

molnibalage wrote:

The Huey can't carry rockets and a full squad simultaneously. Anyway NATO never intended to use heavily armed transport helos (outside of the Lynx AH-7 and the French SA-330 Pirate), so don't even ask for them.

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Mon 20 Jun 2016 20:34

Bougnas wrote:
molnibalage wrote:

The Huey can't carry rockets and a full squad simultaneously. Anyway NATO never intended to use heavily armed transport helos (outside of the Lynx AH-7 and the French SA-330 Pirate), so don't even ask for them.

In this case do general -5CP price cut. It is insane that you pay the same CP for a fully rocket loaded neverending HE launcher and for a MG equipped helos for the same HP and more or less for the same speed.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Mon 20 Jun 2016 22:05

Sweedish_Gunner wrote:The Ukrainians mounted S-8's on a Strela-10M in place of the actual Strela missiles. That'd be pretty zany.

It's a handy thing to do if the other side has no aviation.

Still, the Libyans have them beat in the mad max stakes.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Mon 20 Jun 2016 22:48

That's been done earlier than the USSR splitting up.

Spoiler : Lots of images :
During the Afghanistan war.

And a T-62 with three UB-32 pods. Outrageous!

Georgia wasn't about to be left out.

Because they needed to match the technological advancement of the Abkhazians.

Yugoslavia also did some work with these things. Starting with the TAM-110.

And some other... odd vehicle.

Or protection on the Krajina Express.

Even the US got in on the trend.

Here's some Ukrainian stuff.

Israel gets in on it.

And who could forget about Transnistria! Bring President-for-life Igor Smirnov back!

And if anyone quotes this, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT QUOTE ALL THE IMAGES.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Mon 20 Jun 2016 22:49

AFAIK the M113 was only a smoke launcher... but we had this too!

orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”