"Match maker" in the lol sense..

kish
Sergeant

"Match maker" in the lol sense..

Postby kish » Sun 25 Sep 2016 17:39

Imo Wargame greatly suffers from a very primitive match making system. A League of Legends style match maker system would go a long way towards solving a few of the worst problems the game suffers from.

1. New players will have a better chance playing against new players
2. Experienced players won't have to "waste their time" against noobs
3. Sometimes playing your best game is doomed for a loss since your team mate/s severly under-skill you
4. Manual matching just feels so old..

Don't get me wrong, I love Wargame. I love Eugen and i write this as constructive improvement offer. Do not mean to disrespect existing efforts.

Aditionally, I think that if you agree with me than adding more posts to this thread might get Eugens positive attention.

What do you say?

throwaway
Lieutenant

Re: "Match maker" in the lol sense..

Postby throwaway » Sun 25 Sep 2016 17:44

I agree but we just had a thread that turned into discussing this.

viewtopic.php?f=155&t=58274

kish
Sergeant

Postby kish » Sun 25 Sep 2016 17:51

throwaway wrote:I agree but we just had a thread that turned into discussing this.

viewtopic.php?f=155&t=58274

wop, sry was not aware :)

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Sun 25 Sep 2016 19:22

kish wrote:Imo Wargame greatly suffers from a very primitive match making system. A League of Legends style match maker system would go a long way towards solving a few of the worst problems the game suffers from.

1. New players will have a better chance playing against new players
2. Experienced players won't have to "waste their time" against noobs
3. Sometimes playing your best game is doomed for a loss since your team mate/s severly under-skill you
4. Manual matching just feels so old..

Don't get me wrong, I love Wargame. I love Eugen and i write this as constructive improvement offer. Do not mean to disrespect existing efforts.

Aditionally, I think that if you agree with me than adding more posts to this thread might get Eugens positive attention.

What do you say?

I said this, countless times.
viewtopic.php?p=974278#p974278

It would be easier in first step to disable view stats to kill the pubstomers and stackers. At least for a test period...

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Sun 25 Sep 2016 20:14

molnibalage wrote:It would be easier in first step to disable view stats to kill the pubstomers and stackers. At least for a test period...

Would probably have the opposite effect, since it would make it impossible to set up games with people that are good. Removing stats makes things even more a crapshoot.
Last edited by Xeno426 on Sun 25 Sep 2016 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Sun 25 Sep 2016 20:15

Xeno426 wrote:
molnibalage wrote:It would be easier in first step to disable view stats to kill the pubstomers and stackers. At least for a test period...

Would probably have the opposite effect, since it would make it impossible to set up games with people that are good. Removing stats makes things even more a cropshoot.

Exactly.

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Sun 25 Sep 2016 21:21

Xeno426 wrote:

Would probably have the opposite effect, since it would make it impossible to set up games with people that are good. Removing stats makes things even more a crapshoot.

I disagree. A test period would provide a proof any of our concepts and opinions...

M4jor
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby M4jor » Mon 26 Sep 2016 01:36

I also dont know what the problem is that prevents this.

Just make players chose the game options they WANT to have and play with with from a list and bring those together that fit with selected options and player level. Profit...

EDIT: for like I chose:
- the maps I wanna play
- the point range I wanna play
- mode (spamquest or destruction)
- victory condition (points or total)
- Time limit range (or No TL)
- deck restrictions

The less options you choose, the longer you will have to wait. But that is the price to pay in every game with matchmaking. And people usually gladly pay it because the alternative is madness.

Trimen
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Trimen » Mon 26 Sep 2016 01:57

Two possible outcomes with stat removal.

1. Players who are seeking an easy win inadvertently enter a match with quality opponents.

2. New players looking for a good time get thrown to the lions.

If both had the same probability of occurring then I would say go for it, but since this community is not that large... Skilled players know who the other skilled players are by name. This then would mean the second scenario would occur in far greater frequency then the 1st scenario. That will destroy the game. That is unless the intent of removing the stats is to ultimately remove the less talented players.

It's the only reason I see players requesting that feature removed.

Perhaps the solution is a hybrid of removing and keeping.

use the win loss records of the players to produce a aggregate stat assigned to the team composition. Players on both sides could gauge their overall chances by the overall talent of their opponent.

Perhaps build a server side check for major imbalances between the two teams and prevent the game from launching without consent from the less talent oriented team

"Your Opponents have a vastly superior team rating are you sure you wish to challenge them?" yes/no

R3d Sh4mbala
Sergeant Major

Postby R3d Sh4mbala » Mon 26 Sep 2016 02:11

Trimen wrote:
Perhaps build a server side check for major imbalances between the two teams and prevent the game from launching without consent from the less talent oriented team

"Your Opponents have a vastly superior team rating are you sure you wish to challenge them?" yes/no

I understand the concept, but there is no real incentive to go David vs. Goliath. Except maybe a rank CP boost?