Israel and Artillery

thenosh
Lieutenant

Israel and Artillery

Postby thenosh » Fri 28 Oct 2016 22:20

Since the implementation of Israel, the Arty spam seems to have increased to unbeliavble masses. Discuss.
"Where is my T-80UK CV with top mounted BUK-M1?"

-Wargame global chat, somewhen somewhere-

HrcAk47
Colonel

Re: Israel and Artillery

Postby HrcAk47 » Fri 28 Oct 2016 22:30

Israel is an arty-heavy nation.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

Illusive
Master Sergeant

Postby Illusive » Fri 28 Oct 2016 22:37

Never seem arty spam be a problem outside destruction and 10vs10s so it's really not an issue.
Typical Forum Expert wrote:Just because I only play destruction doesn't mean my opinion is worthless!
Typical Forum Expert wrote:10v10 is the purest gamemode, 1v1s are clown games that fail to prove someone's true skill level.

thenosh
Lieutenant

Postby thenosh » Fri 28 Oct 2016 23:15

Illusive wrote:Never seem arty spam be a problem outside destruction and 10vs10s so it's really not an issue.

So you think 10v10 or destruction are just side notes?
"Where is my T-80UK CV with top mounted BUK-M1?"

-Wargame global chat, somewhen somewhere-

morpher
Major-General

Postby morpher » Fri 28 Oct 2016 23:24

thenosh wrote:
Illusive wrote:Never seem arty spam be a problem outside destruction and 10vs10s so it's really not an issue.

Yes.

throwaway
Lieutenant

Postby throwaway » Fri 28 Oct 2016 23:51

Forums are too dismissive of alternative game modes. I understand not trying too hard to balance destruction perfectly, but 10v10 and destruction are both modes with significant player counts and if a certain unit makes them even more broken than they already are, that's worth thinking about.

I know pubbies have no idea how to deal with Maglan, you can bring 3-4 in a tactical and break the entire enemy team by yourself. Now, while Maglan deserves a nerf, balancing it to the point tactical players can deal with it would be too much of a nerf in normal games. MAR-290 on the other hand is probably too easy to rearm in 10v10, and a supply cost nerf or reload time increase or an availability decrease won't impact the more serious game modes much, so those a viable nerfs that could be done for the sake of casual game modes.

I play almost exclusively ranked nowadays, and I think the game should primarily be balanced based on that, but going with a complete dismissal of alternative game modes goes too far. Yeah trying to balance them competitively is a waste of time but changes can make the experience worse or better.

morpher
Major-General

Postby morpher » Sat 29 Oct 2016 00:06

The problem of 10vs10s is that some types of units do not scale well with players density. Like artillery.

It can't be balanced with pure stats/price/availability changes, it requires additional game mechanics to control units availability across players.

Like the burrito. How can you balance 10 burritos in the same map? 0.2 availability per card?

throwaway
Lieutenant

Postby throwaway » Sat 29 Oct 2016 00:18

I wouldn't assume burrito is even a problem in 10v10 (though I haven't played that many so what do I know), the issue with artillery and planes is more that 10 players can with minimal coordination focus all their artillery power on the same sector to shut it down, every couple minutes. Burrito doesn't really share that trait since it has to move around, you can't on-demand focus your entire team's burritos to shut down a carefully orchestrated push anywhere on the map with one ping and a 30-second wait.

But my point isn't to attempt to balance artillery for 10v10, just to not completely dismiss the game mode. As long as it doesn't impact conquest, there are fixes that may alleviate particularly painful issues, without actually trying to really get everything balanced.

Woozle
Captain

Postby Woozle » Sat 29 Oct 2016 01:01

morpher wrote:
thenosh wrote:

Yes.

I just love this elitist community that hates the majority of the player base.

RoadkillRodger
Lieutenant

Postby RoadkillRodger » Sat 29 Oct 2016 01:12

Woozle wrote:
morpher wrote:
thenosh wrote:

Yes.

I just love this elitist community that hates the majority of the player base.

I don't think anybody hates them. The fact is just that most of the people who play this game aren't very good at it.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”