Next Wargame

GeorgeStevens
Private

Next Wargame

Postby GeorgeStevens » Fri 14 May 2021 06:54

If Eugen Systems created another Wargame, what era would you be most interested in?

(A) World War I: 1914-1918
(B) World War II: 1939-1945
(C) Cold War: 1950- 1991
(D) Modern: 1991-2020
(E) Near Future: 2020-2050
(F) Futuristic: 2100-
(G) Sci Fi

Chose ONE!

molnibalage
General

Re: Next Wargame

Postby molnibalage » Mon 17 May 2021 08:52

GeorgeStevens wrote:If Eugen Systems created another Wargame, what era would you be most interested in?

(A) World War I: 1914-1918
(B) World War II: 1939-1945
(C) Cold War: 1950- 1991
(D) Modern: 1991-2020
(E) Near Future: 2020-2050
(F) Futuristic: 2100-
(G) Sci Fi

Chose ONE!

Only Cold War.
Because in any other case the result would be only funny. Because games can't model such things well as simultaneous engagement capability and many other things.
Cold War is just fine.

Wanallo
Private

Postby Wanallo » Mon 17 May 2021 10:40

Cold war or Modern only.

WW2 has been done to death by RTS and WW1 just wouldn't work, as the only things you would be able to realistically keep are infantry and artillery and that just wouldn't be a fun game even if they overhauled infantry.

Sci-Fi and Future are too abstract: Wargame works because it is grounded in some sense of realism that has some kind of logical common sense to it (I understand that an M113 with a Dragon is not going to stand up to an MBT). Sci-Fi could be too whacky and will just take away the alternate history itch that makes this game unique.

StalkerDellaNote
Lieutenant

Postby StalkerDellaNote » Tue 18 May 2021 23:27

Barking up the wrong tree here bud.. Those who stuck by Wargame stayed for one reason and one reason only, the Cold War theme. If we wanted WWII we'd have migrated to Steel Division. Believe me when I say modern is that last thing you want, just try Ash and Shadows..

Me personally, I'd like a potential new title to essentially be a "Steel Division : Red Dragon". Current RD unit catalogue and time period with Steel Division gameplay.

I'd rather we not progress forward in time but instead eliminate unused or retired equipment (see 1991 mod for a good example of this) and to expand upon the current roster while utilizing the improved mechanics and features of Steel Division. For example, towed/articulated vehicles, pre-launch static emplacements.

Would also love if instead, each aircraft had base stats and price and you could build loadouts for aircraft.
Come play Sqaud 1-life events! | SquadOps.gg | We play Red Dragon too!

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Wed 19 May 2021 14:38

StalkerDellaNote wrote:Me personally, I'd like a potential new title to essentially be a "Steel Division : Red Dragon". Current RD unit catalogue and time period with Steel Division gameplay.

This is the problem. It includes way too long period.

Even within ALB proto time frame the system can't handle such thing like top attack TOW-2B...
Another example? Multi target channel SAMs are also an issue like the Tor-M1.
Or just thing about the the 25 km range ATGM of Israel.

And so on...

Many advanced things cannot be modeled well with generalized modeling approach.

I'd rather we not progress forward in time but instead eliminate unused or retired equipment (see 1991 mod for a good example of this) and to expand upon the current roster while utilizing the improved mechanics and features of Steel Division. For example, towed/articulated vehicles, pre-launch static emplacements.

My wet dream a maybe more detailed thing in ALB's timeframe with many of RD's feature but closer to stats of ALB. Much closer. I have posted about this in the "Flawed gun modeling" thread.

Would also love if instead, each aircraft had base stats and price and you could build loadouts for aircraft

If we ever wish to reach such things the pace of the gameplay also should be changed. Because it is insane that because of scaling on roads GUs are in the same scale as bombs released from 900 km/h fast planes. You simply can't hit a moving target from low level.

As long as weapons as "balanced" in RD nobody every would use some weapons. Because CBUs were nerfed to death in RD on planes. Nobody ever would choose them over ATGM planes especially as long as post Cold War tanks are so insanely buffed...

Also it could be great if you could set the altitude of the planes. At high alt planes would bomb with much larger dispersion but against much less risk because the increased slant range against MANPADs and SHORADs.

Many, many tings could be done even with just a remastered RD...

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Fri 4 Jun 2021 03:34

I'd want to see something like Sins of a Solar Empire in gameplay. But World War 1.
So basically a Real Time Hearts of Iron Crossed with Wargame combat in WW1.
Also some one tell JP Morgan to get on his boat next time. I remember this every November.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”